Re: '84 Golf GTI

> From: Christopher DuBach
> ...I ran across a '84 Golf GTI....

Is that an '84 Rabbit GTI or an '85 Golf GTI?

Either way they are both 1.8's, US made, and do not suffer from the
unending
electrical and terminal rust problems of the earlier cars.

Rabbit ("A1" body) - 90hp, lots of fun, lots of rattles and squeaks.
Typical early rust is under the hood near the strut bearings where the
fenders are bolted to the wheelhouses, although the later Rabbits (mid '83
and on, I think) have plastic splash shields that reduce this somewhat.

Golf ("A2" body)- 100hp (but heavier), a better car in almost all ways, but
costs more to buy.  Leaky heater cores are covered by a recall.  Rust
starts on the rear body panel/quarter panel seams below the rear bumper
(check this area on a Rabbit, too).

Either of these make good second cars.  I've owned examples of each ('83
GTI, '85 Golf, '87 Golf, '87 GTI 8V).  They all were pretty good.  If you
get an A2, make sure it has power steering - very heavy steering otherwise.

(another) Chris