Re: Konis and other mods

Joe,

I hope I can answer your questions completely...

>     Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 17:16:46 -0500
>  From: "S. Joseph Mann" <joem@pswtech.com>
>  Subject: Re:
>  Doug,
>  Your mod sounds great. I am interested in doing something similar to my
>  95 GLX. But I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me?
>  - - How far did the mod lower your car?
It dropped the car about 1.5" give or take. The car still appears to have
too much fenderwell gap in the front, but it is raked forward like it
should be.

>  - - What were the costs involved?
About $750 for the Neuspeed/Koni adjustable front struts, adjustable rear
shocks and the Neuspeed Progressive Sport Lowering Springs. The
installation was done by a qualified friend, and the alignment was about
$65.

>  - - Did you do any of the work yourself?
You could probably do the rears yourself with an impact wrench and some
mechanical competence.  The fronts definately need a spring compressor to
remove the old cap from your existing struts. One of those "don't try this
at home" things without that tool. You could probably rent one of those at
a local tool rental service if you were so inclined.

>  - - Warranty does this effect you factory warranty (Don, any comments??)
NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT!  No aftermarket product will void your warranty unless
the part that was added was the direct cause of the factory part's failure
(i.e. adding tons of HP to Abe's car was a DIRECT result in his tranny
failure, no contest). Koni's and Boge's both have lifetime warranties
anyway, so there's not much that you would have to worry about.

>  - - For your new TAs, did you go with new wheels, or did you stick with
>  15" stock wheels??
Stock wheels for now, but come spring...  17's. The Comp TA's came before
the suspension, and like anyone worth their weight will tell you, if it's
not stuck to the ground, you could have the best shocks and springs in the
world and it won't make a difference.  The TA's were a HUGE improvement!
>  I really love the ride of the stock suspension and would like to keep
>  that smooth feel. Or at least be able to adjust the suspension to it.
>  With your Koni's tuned soft, how close is the ride to the original?  I
>  basically don't want to beat me or my passengers to death. Unless I
>  choose to. :-)
Personally, I believe the "FULL SOFT" setting is flat, and remarkably close
to a stock ride, to the point that your girlfriend or wife wouldn't know
that you replaced the shocks.  The "FULL FIRM" setting is racing kart-like,
if you've ever experienced a race kart. More accurately, "ugh." More than 5
minutes of that ride setting results in a potty break.

Right now, I am riding with the fronts on a 1 turn up (right in the middle
of 2 full turns), and the rears at 1.125 turns toward firm.  It seems to be
a nice compromise between handling and ride.  Then again, I might not like
it this winter, but I have the option to change that with the Koni's.

Hope I could help.  If you have any other comments, feel free to post.

Doug