oil consumption

At 06:33 PM 7/31/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Yes, the BS stands for Bull Sh*t!
>
>During my experience with my local VW dealer here in Austin TX. this
>past week, I was told two very interesting things by the Service
>Department Advisor. Or at least I thought they were interesting.
>
>One: The VR6 specs say that a quart of oil every "1000" miles is within
>tolerance.  If I'm not mistaken, that means you could possibly turn over
>the entire volume of oil in the VR6 between oil changes (7500 mls
>recommended by book) and it would be considered NORMAL!!!???
>
>Two: After the dealer install the "Foil" in my squeaky door panels, I
>demonstrated to here that by pressing on the arm rest of either door
>that they STILL squeak like my granny's antique rocker!!  Her comment
>was that she went on to the lot and all the new Gulf and Jettas make the
>SAME NOISE!
>
>How much Bull Shit can one person take?
>
>Later boys,
>
>Joe
>
>I checked in all the Repair manuals there is no listing for oil
consumption. In my 1974 "Without Guesswork" book it does mention oil
consumption for a Type I at 1.4 to 3.2 pints per 1000 miles.

Do date we have not had any oil consumption complaints. I was told a while
back that there was a change in the material used in the rings and because
of that change it was not uncommon to use oil for up to 15,000 miles. If
you think you have a consumption problem follow these suggestions. (We had
to do this before the MQ recall on the 78 to 80 Rabbits) Take the car back
to a VW dealer and tell them about the oil consumption you are having.
Change the oil and make sure it is filled to the mark. Drive the car until
you are exactly 1 quart low. When it reaches that point take it back to the
dealer and show them. How many miles have you gone?

Remember make sure you have driven atleast 10,000 miles before making the
complaint. This will give the rings a chance to seat.

Don