Stereo Upgrades

At 03:29 PM 7/30/97 -0700, you wrote:

>I have NEVER had anything that can be described as "wonderful help" from
>Crutchfield.  They have no information on the Bose system that comes
>standard with the GLX.  They told me that the Clarion changer worked
>with the Bose head unit, but it is actually the Panasonic deck that is
>compatible.  When I called for help from them with the Clarion (I
>couldn't even remove the head unit because it can't be removed with the
>DIN tools) they actually said "sorry, we don't have any information on
>that."  I am in the process now of trying to get the shipping I paid for
>reimbursed.

I have a 97 GLX with the Bose system.  (Just the head unit, the disc
changer was *mighty* pricey.)  I figured I would add a changer myself.
Little did I realize just what I was getting into.  After hearing on the
list about all the difficulties with aftermarket stereos on the Bose
system, I decided to look into it a little more.  I, too, called
Crutchfield and as soon as I mentioned the word "Bose" the representative
on the other end just went "Ugh!"   "We have no information on that, but we
might in the future."
	The next call I made was to the VW service rep. at the dealership where I
bought the car.  I asked if he could fax me a copy of the stereo/amplifier
wiring diagram.  Within an hour, my fax machine was churning it out.  I
looked over it for about an hour, I can't really see what all the fuss is
about.  (At least with using an aftermarket head with the factory amp and
speakers.)
	Of the 26 wire block going into the amp, half goes in from the head unit,
and the other half goes out to the speakers.  With a pos. and neg. lead for
each speaker (2) and four speakers (making 8)  The tweeters and woofers are
wired together. (I suspect a small crossover is present on each lead) So,
in effect, a woofer and tweeter are treated as one unit.
	There's an 8-in and an 8-out lead (were up to 16 now), a power lead (17),
a direct lead to the head unit (I'm not sure what this one does) (18), a
lead that goes out and loops back into the block. (It doesn't hook into
anything.) (19, 20)  This leaves 6 dead spots in the block.  I have to look
at it again to confirm this, but if the wiring diagram is correct, an
aftermarket head should work fine. (emphasis on *should* :-) )
	This leaves the head unit.  We have the 8 wires for the speakers, another
lead from the amp (I think this might be a lead to tell the amp to turn on
and off in conjunction with the head unit.)  I need to confer with the
service rep. to find out if this is the case.  The head unit will naturally
have a power lead and finally, another for the antenna.
	From the GLX homepage, I've heard that the roof antenna has a power lead
for itself that runs through the core of the coax.  If you use an
aftermarket stereo, an external power turn on will have to be fashioned.  I
also understand that this information is available from Alpine.
	So, these are my discoveries.  I don't know why Crutchfield doesn't have
this info. Other than the antenna and the lead from the head to the amp, it
seems pretty straight forward.  The wizards at Crutchfield should have come
up with something by now.
	Nonetheless, anyone have an more information the speakers (frequency
response) and amp (RMS and peak power, total harmonic distortion)?

Dave Petke	DoD # 1615
Kennett Sq., PA