Re: Momo shiftknob

> Please send me the full version. I dont understand the zip tie.
> How do i get the boot off? just pull or what? The end of my boot is a thick
> plastic.
> Thanks

hi all, chris collier here,

since i have been getting emails requesting the description of the
modifying the stock leather boot to allow for an aftermarket knob, i
thought that i would re-write the process in hopes that it clears up any
confusion; well here goes; if after this description is read and there
are still questions, please feel free to call me on the phone and i
would be more than happy to walk you through it; my number is
612.227.8603 home; please call only at acceptable times; i am located in
the central time zone

well here is the long version of custom shift boot making 101:

first i am assuming that your shift knob assembly is totally stock at
this point; working under this assumption, these are the steps to take
in  order to modify it to work with an aftermarket shift knob

supplies that you will need:  a razor knife, zip ties(a zip tie is a
plastic tie that is made to pass through a head that has a locking
mechanism in it; as you pull the strap through its head it cinches down
and locks; once a zip tie is locked it cannot be use again, only cut
off); zip ties can be purchased at any hardware or automotive store and
come in a variety of sizes;

steps for shift boot:

1)remove the leather boot from the plastic flange on the center console
of your car; the bottom of the leather shift boot is slightly elastic
and should stretch off fairly easily; then unscrew the whole leather
boot and knob, as this is a one piece boot/knob assembly

2) take your razor knife and cut 360 degrees around the leather on the
stock shift knob, about 1" down from the top; after you do this you
should end up with the stock plastic shift knob with a "beenie" of
leather around the top, this will include the shifting pattern
(r,1,2,3,4,5); and you should also have the leather boot with the cut
top where the stock plastic shift knob was removed

3)turn the leather shift boot inside out;

4)now that the leather shift boot is inside out proceed to lower it down
over the shifter shaft; lower it only about 3 inches

5)now that the boot is inside out, and over the shaft; take a zip tie,
put it around the leather that is over the shaft and cinch it down so
that it tightens around the shaft itself;

6) now proceed to turn the boot right side out, by simply pushing down
on the wide end of the leather shift boot; try and not let theend that
you zip tied, slide down;

7) now that the boot is right side out and the top is folded inside out
around the top of the shift shaft, you can re-attach the bottom of the
boot around the plastic flange of the console

8) once the bottom of the boot is re-attached you can now slide or
thread your new shift knob onto the end of the  shaft;

9) once the new knob is in place you can either slide the leather boot
up to the knob, or slide it down to allow the knob to fully thread on;
whichever the case may be

i hope that this has given everyone a clear and simple way of installing
a new shift knob; these are the steps that i took when installing my
momo shift knob and it has remained solid every since;

if there are anymore questions about this, or about Der Cup Spoiler,
please feel free to email me or call me on the phone at the number
listed above; i don't mind sharing anything that i know that might help
a fellow VW enthusiast
- --
HOME OF DER CUP SPOILER

christopher n. collier
cnscenic@mm.com

Special FX Engineer

minneapolis/st. paul
minnesota, usa

97 GLX VR6
White, De-Badged, Cannon All Weather Mats, Weathertech Trunk Liner,
Clarion 6 Disc Changer, Der Cup Spoiler, Neuspeed P-Flow, Neuspeed Upper
Strut Tie-Bar, Neuspeed 25mm Front Sway Bar, Neuspeed 28mm Rear Sway
Bar, Spax 24-Way Adj. Kit, Autopower 6-pt. Full Bolt-In Roll Cage,Toyo
Proxes T1's 205/50vr15 for street, BFGoodrich Comp TA R1's 205/50zr15
for autocross, Momo Super-Anatomical Shift Knob, Tinted Front Blinkers,
Tinted Side Blinkers, Tinted Side Markers, and More Tricks To Come......