Re: Jetta Suspension Upgrades

> What shock/spring combo did you use?

Neuspeed Springs (rehular lowering springs, not the sofsports or the race)
Boge Progas shocks ( recommended by new dimensions and cheap)

> How much did they cost?

$700 Installed by new dimensions including wheel alignment.

> Was the kit easy to install?

Well, I didn't do the work, so I don't know, but it took newdimensions
a long time ( 6 hours) to put them in while I was in their waiting room.

> How much did it lower the car?

Hmm, didn't really measure it, but the car is significantly lower than stock,
but not too low. Looks just right with very little space between the top
of the tire and the wheel well.

Maybe about 2"'s?

It looks so much better than stock. The car has gotten a mean sporty look to
it, while the stock car looks like it is ready to go offroading ;-)

> Do you have suspension travel problems?

None.

> Are you running stock rims or did you go 16"?

Stock.

But while I was at ND (1.5 years ago), another GLX'er with the same springs
and 215/45/16 Conti tires on Momo Arrows was there and he had some very minor
rubbing on one rear tire.

Turbo Tim's GLX was also there with 225/40-16 SP8000's and there were signs
of lots of rubbing on the rear tires (tire bubbles had formed).

So, I think that with 205/45/16's no rubbing should occur. If I ever upgrade
rims this is the size I would go to.

> How is the ride? (Real Stiff?)

No. Ride is stiffer, but in my opinion much more confortable for 2 main
reasons:

	1- Less body roll
	2- Less diving under braking.

So while you feel bumps more, you tend to be buffeted around the interior
a lot less when driving spiritedly ( which is 100% of the time :-)

> Do you have and clearance problems? (ie. Pot holes, speed bumps, Snow)

Not really. Got to be careful with speedbumps, haven't tried much snow
driving (mild winter in DC).

One thing is that it is now a little tricky to jack the car up with a
hydraulic jack. Very little space. But it can be done.

> Anything you could add will help me out a great deal. I have read
> the Neuspeed impressions page at the VW Zone. I just would like some
> more input.

I would do this again in a heart beat. No negatives and the positives are
overwhelming (looks, less roll, less diving, less torque steer).

> I used to own a 93 Probe GT and would like to get the handling close
> to that but not ride quite a rough. I am not apposed to a ride that
> is rougher than stock.

Funny. My old car was a '93 Probe GT too (burnt in a garage fire). My jetta
is probably less harsh than the probe with the above step, but it is
rougher than stock.

You might want to consider Neuspeed SofSport springs. They lower the car less
and give you better travel.

Boge Progas, while not as well regarded as Bilstein or Koni are softer and
more comfortable. I verified this myself by riding in a Bilstein equiped GLX.

Finally, definitely spend the $80 on a strut tie bar. Makes a difference in
steering and noises especially with the lowered car.

- -Eric

- --
Eric Bosco                                                     Unix Programmer
EricBosco@aol.com                                Systems & Advanced Technology
http://members.aol.com/ericbosco/                           America Online Inc.