Re: GLX on car and driver mag

>For once Car and Driver is right.

Hm.  As a GLX owner, I was very upset by that article at first.  Later I
realized they did not take into account vehicle price.

>at every corner.  I prefer to drive my car not to watch sit in the shop
>while a mechanic tries to find out what is making is making that damn
>thumping noise in the rear wheel well every time I hit a minor road
>inperfection.

I can understand the frustration you had with a Jetta.  My 1995 GLX was a
major pain in the butt.  It made the same thupming noise - and others.
After long negotiations (an ulcer or two later) it was replaced by a brand
new 1996 model.  Kudos to VW for this.  This one has been very good so far.

So, it's a matter of taste and - luck.  What I don't understand is why were
you venting your frustration here??!??  Write to VW of A, not to this
mailing list.  We're not responsible for it.  There is a huge difference
between exchange of information and your whining/bitching.

BTW, I test drove Audi A4q (V6) recently, and here's some of my impressions
of what you apparently consider an ubercar:
I love the current A4 design, and I read a lot about improved reliability
and structural integrity of new Audis.  I could not wait to test drive this
car.  The interior was simple and luxurious.  All kinds of fancy gadgets and
buttons - great to figure out and play with (can you tell I am an engneer?)

Automatic climate system was easy to understand and operate.  Shifting was
precise, with a slighty shorter throw than Jetta.  Suspension was stiffer,
yet the ride was comfortable.  Roads were dry and traction good - although I
could not tell if "quattro" even existed.  Steering (to my great surprise)
was not as quck and nimble as in the Jetta GLX.  Somehow it felt as if I was
turning the steering wheel through honey.

The engine's response to throttle and acelleration at any speed was *very*
dissapointing in Audi A4.  I had to rev it up way above 4000 to get it going
*at all*.  Jetta responds more quickly, but the ride in Audi is smoother.
Significantly less body roll in Audi, I'd say.

Even if (and that is one BIG if) the price of these two vehicles were
comparable, it would have to be a personal decision based on your interest
and expectations to make a final choice.  If you're looking for a smooth,
luxury ride in a luxurious environment, combined with a stunning design, and
have a plenty of money, Audi A4 is perfect for you.  If you want a very high
fun factor, simpler ergonomics, still combined with plenty of stardand
options, go for the Jetta GLX.

Considering that a list price for Audi (approx. 31,000) was staggering
$8,000 more than Jetta GLX (approx. 23,000), I would not have to spend a
minute making a decision: it's Jetta GLX all the way.
********************************
The magazines reported that 1.8T is even slower than a V6 model.  Throttle
response is "faster", but acceleration is worse.  Yuck.

>on your hands.  I will continue to enjoy reading these e-mails of problems,
>upgrades and fix-its to a car that is so overpriced and sooo underbuilt.

What are you - a masochist?

>Attachment Converted: PIC24138.PCX

Why in the world would you clutter the web and our computers with "cute"
attachments like this is beyond my comprehension.

Good luck with Audi.

Vojin