[Fwd: Re: Some questions...]

Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 07:11:12 -0600
From: "christopher n. collier" <cnscenic@mm.com>
To: gti-vr6@spice.dev.tivoli.com, knelander@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Some questions...

> christopher n. collier wrote:
>

>   the rest of you thinking of doing this, i will have to write
>   detailed
>   description upon request;
>
> Tell me oh mighty sage!
> --
> Kevin Nelander
> knelander@worldnet.att.net
> 1996 GTI VR6  Candy White/Black Leather
> 1995 Jetta 8v2.0L Candy White (Wife's car)
> ->My opinions just happen to be those of my employer.<-

Here is the description that i promised about changing our gear knobs
but being able to use the stock leather boots, hope everone finds the
info useful;

hi everyone, chris collier here,

well here is my description of the gear knob, boot mod ordeal:

it is rather easy, so ordeal might be a little strong;

tools: razor knife, zip ties(those small nylon straps that when you feed
the one end back through the head and pull, you get the
zzzzziiiiiiipppppppppppp) your new knob

1) remove leather from around lip of console, so that it is hanging
free; now that it is just hanging there, unscrew the knob/boot assembly
all the way off

2) cut all the way around the leather, about 1/2 way up the rigid part
of the gearshift knob; after you have cut all the way through you should
end-up with two pieces; 1 piece is the knob itself with "a little
leather beenie on it"; 2nd is the boot itself tapering from gear shaft
size, opening up to the size needed to stretch around the lip in the
console

3) now, turn the whole leather boot inside-out, yes i mean, inside-out;

4) with the leather boot inside-out, you want to slide it, small opening
in leather boot first, down over the actual shift shaft;

5) a good starting point is about 3 inches, this can be changed
depending on what type of shift knob you are installing; personally i
installed the momo super-anatomical in my vr6, and 3 inches was about
right

6) so now that the leather boot is inside out, and now three inches down
over the shaft, you have a rather odd looking setup; you might need an
extra hand for this step, or you might not; while holding the boot in a
somewhat vertical position, take your zip tie and wrap it around the
leather boot;

7) tighten the zip tie down so that the leather is being constricted
against the metal shaft

8) now push straight down with the boot to turn the boot right side out,
and pull the leather lip back around the console

9) there you have a simple, inexpensive, and practical way to use the
stock leather boot with an aftermarket shift knob;

once you have the knob in place and the boot back in place, you can
slide the boot up to the bottom of the shift knob

i hope that the description above is fairly clear and helpful; when i
did this change to my car, it took about 20 minutes; if anything in this
description is vague, or you just need some more in depth description,
don't hesitate to e-mail me.

chris collier
cnscenic@mm.com
97 glx vr6