Ainge Watch: Ainge Speaks On WEEI

This is your official "Ainge Watch" station. . .

Ainge on WEEI with John Dennis and Gerry Callahan says:

- Big Difference drafting 8th or 9th than 15th.

Callahan: Your honest talk about the draft,  Inspired the "boys in a back-handed way?

Ainge: Players job to go out and play, my job is to deal with the talent.

Callahan: Danny, you became a convenient whipping boy after your comments,
Pierce defended you;  Callahan: I was taken aback by Pierce's defense and how
he saw things coming  together.

Ainge:  Passionate sports fans are what I love about Boston; criticism doesn't
bother me.

Ainge: "We have to start winning soon."  "We have to improve."
Offer "more hope for the future".

Callahan: What did you do right this year?

Ainge: If LaFrentz, Free agent that we sign maybe as a starter or significant bench player,
Chucky Atkins all starting next year;
Ricky Davis second reason we're in the playoffs.  He is 24 years old and a real
bright spot.  I am very impressed with Ricky
Still a young undisciplined player, only guy who could score agaianst tough Miami
defense. Absolutely a keeper, a player like Williams to be corraled.

Ainge: Carroll done a real fantastic job - team playing better and harder as term went
along.  John first coach to be interviewed. Coaching staff important: cites KC Jones
great staff with KC sitting back and Chris Ford the yeller. Ainge looking to assemble
a great coaching staff

Dennis: What Type of coaching staff do you want? We need to develop players and
teach them how to play correctly  - "Coaches haven't done a good job communicating
with the players."

Callahan: Retaining Blount?
Ainge: "I think we can; good shot at that."

Are you going to draft high school kids?
Ainge:  "I'm not in favor of high school kids."
Ainge: Greatest workout ever seen was  Kobe and the Suns tried their darndest to move up to draft him; Stodamire's workout also showed a diamond in the rough; O'Neil's wasn't wasn't that impressive.

Ainge: Draft, "I lean more toward proven players," but have to consider everyone, Euros, whatever.

Callahan: Why not be a pioneer and draft a junior high or elementary school player?

Ainge says he scouted a high school sophmore who was tempting:
"Oh my God, his size", says Ainge, who can't reveal his name, "
I better not... I'll get in trouble."
(Ray: I know who it is!)

Indiana: "Beatable, not a great team, but talented" - their turnaround due to Artest's
maturing, Bird, and Carlisle.

Ray