Re: [Celtics' Stuff ] The worst playoff team ever?-Globe

Carroll is just reaping what he has sown. He was living on a prayer, a
gimmick, fools gold with utility man Walter, on his three point shooting. Now Walter
is having difficulty making a shot, which is what you should expect from a
previous nonshooter. Now the team has nothing to fall back on. Carroll has tried
other things, going small and going with the hot set of players only to
confuse the players even more as to what their roles are and getting players who
are playing  fatigued.

If he had gone with Mihm, Hunter and Perkins at power forward, he could have
planned for growth. If any of three had grown to fill the position, we would
have made the playoffs and solved the power forward problem. If they didn't, we
would be in the lottery, got a better pick and we would have given
development time to the players who needed it and would have been better long term.

But Carroll was only interested instanteous results, like Obie was. He was,
as he described it, a dead man walking and dead men don't think about the
future. He wanted to show he could coach at the NBA level. And he was able to fool
some of the silly Boston press into thinking he should be considered, the same
people who jumped on the Obie bandwagon.

So now what do we have? We have had flashes of a defensive ballhawking,
breaking unit with Banks and a fresh Ricky. But with sporadiac minutes for Banks
and Ricky sometimes starting, there is no continuity there. Chucky is a poor
defensive player one on one, which we knew. But when Walter is getting abused
down low, the team can't concentrate on helping Chucky. There are to many holes
in the dyke.

 If Walter isn't hitting the three, he is worthless. He can't rebound, can't
dribble and can't play one on one defense against power fowards.  Now we are
trying some Jiri Welsch at power forward. That is probably a better option than
Walter but that isn't going to get you anywhere long term or in the playoffs.

As mentioned many times before, Carroll should just go back to what he had
going during the 6 game winning streak. He starts Hunter and fortifys the boards
and defense (and reinspire Blount who hasn't had the same fire in the last
five), put Walter back on the bench. Just suffer through the mistakes, poor free
throw shooting and muddy offense to get back defense and rebounding. The guys
will fall back into the roles that they had previously during the streak and
you just go with what you got. If you win, you win.  It is elementary to me....

DJessen33

<< "When we go out there as individuals, we ain't very good," said Chucky
 Atkins (10 points, 9 assists). "The Boston Celtics aren't very good
 when we play as five or six individuals. We came out and got it
 together in the second half. But we put ourselves in such a big hole in
 the first half, it was difficult to get ourselves out of it." >>