Re: Brief Ainge Watch - P.I.T. News

Notes on a few of these guys:

Darius Rice ... I don't get why this guy isn't considered a better
prospect. He's 6-10 and has been productive for four years at a Big East
school. He was a McDonald's All-American and I remember him shining in
the same game that featured Eddie Griffin, Eddy Curry, Kwame Brown, etc.
As near as I can tell, the knock on him is he's too thin and he's just a
shooter. OK. He's an NBA small forward, not a power forward. He'll be
able to get off that beautiful jump shot against any defender. And
aren't shooters at a premium in the NBA? I just don't get it. I think
he'll be one of those guys who is taken late and does well and everyone
wonders "why didn't we see that coming?"

Velimir Radinovic ... 7-2 center from Ohio State. One of the most
frustrating players I've ever watched. He came to Columbus as a 7-2 kid
with great hands who ran the floor well and had a soft touch. I was
convinced by the time he was finished, he'd be an NBA prospect. Instead,
he never progressed. He needed to get stronger - he didn't. He needed to
get tougher - he didn't. He needed to develop a low-post game - he
didn't. He's still a smooth-moving 7-2 kid with great hands and a soft
touch who runs the floor well. But that's it. Maybe years from now,
after being toughened up overseas, he'll be an NBA player, but I just
don't think he has any idea what hard work is or how good he could be.

Keith Walesowski and Erik Daniels (Dayton and Kentucky, respectively)
... I covered both these guys in high school. That's all. Not NBA
prospects, but thought you might be interested. Never thought either of
them would be at an NBA draft camp.

Mark