Re: Gasol and Young Rookies

Hi Stathis - thanks for the interesting point of view.

At 07:31 PM 4/2/2004 , Stathis Avgoustiniatos wrote:
Most players who come from Europe (I'm not saying "European" to include
Ginobili) and make a big career in the NBA were already huge stars in
Europe.

I think this is changing in the same way that US draftees are no longer necessarily college stars. US players who made big NBA careers used to be 4-year (or at least 2-yr) college grads. Now they're declaring way early and skipping school. Most are are a good 2 years away from getting off the bench (J.O'Neal, McGrady). One reason is that they don't have the skill set required to play effectively. That used to be learned in college. We hear that the young Euros play tons more organized games, and get solid training in fundamentals from an early age. That rarely happens here. So we assume that the Euros declaring for the NBA draft, even if they aren't stars back home, are definitely more game-ready than their US counterparts. They can pass, shoot, get postition, run pick&rolls, etc. -- they just need to grow into their bodies. The US high schoolers can run, jump, dunk, block shots, and make passes that teammates may or may not be able to catch.

This year's crop of Euro draftees are tagged with plenty of potential, and they're much more unproven than Petrovic or Sabonis were in their day.

I do so wish the NBA would adopt a true baseball-type farm system. Or at least expand the roster size so there is room for a few projects without shortchanging the working roster. It would solve so many problems (age limitations, development, keeping the kids more supervised and out of the nba lifestyle arena at age 17). I favor the farm system because it gets the kids playing in game situations. On the NBA bench they may get tutelage and practice scrimmages, but there's no substitution for having to hit your free throws when you're truly winded and all eyes are upon you. Actually, one of the advantages in drafting young Euros is that you don't have to put them on your bench for two years -- you can leave them playing in Europe. Not sure how the contract/cap $$ works in those cases...

That said, I like Roko Ukic, Dorrell Wright and Humphries in green.

--Ellie