At 02:41 PM 4/2/2004, Michael Gooen wrote:
Cecil asked:
<<If that we to occur, is there anyone who would promote a trade of Paul
Pierce and one of our number 1 picks for Vince Carter and their number
1?>>

You mean anyone who'd promote that deal from Boston's side?  I suppose so,
but you just said he's going to Toronto.  No one else is that stupid.

I wouldn't even put together a package of valuable second-tier players for
Carter.  He's injury-prone, a defensive liability, and needs to dominate
the ball to be effective offensively. <snip>

Also, I may have issues with Pierce as a player and as a leader/captain but he's never given anyone - much less his own teammates - the slightest reason to publicly question his intestinal fortitude. While another issue with putting together a package of 2nd tier players for Carter is that once again you wipe out any shot at cap flexibility for a number of years, since he's signed a year beyond Piercer at max money vs the more readily turned over pieces we'd be giving up. And sorry, but another number 1 pick in a draft deep in possibilites who will take years to payoff, but not in sure things, doesn't thrill me. We've already got too many picks - adding that many immature, underdeveloped players, no matter how talented, gets counter productive after a certain point. They not only need development time of their own to see if they will pan out, they affect everyone else's development.

Kim