RE: Basketball rules.

Jorge Pereira - jpereira@xxxxxxxx

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 20:42:39 -0400
From: Cecil <cecil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Basketball rules
++++++
And what would happen when the actual shooter was subsequently fouled as
well?  How many shots would be awarded then? I don't like it.
++++++

No,no, no.  The shooter would never be fouled in that situation.  And that's really the point.  The shooter is always half a court ahead of the defense and has an uncontested layup.  The fouler has usually just turned the ball over and is fouling (cheating) to save 2 points rather than getting the ball back.

But thanks to Dan and Egg.  They made me see that it is continuation on the assist, not the shot, and I agree, it would be difficult to police this especially after the whistle blows.

I brought this up because having a soccer background the aforementioned calls with Blount and Jiri would be cause for a riot if they meant taking away a goal.  Everyone expects "assist" continuation in soccer.

And you did remind me of another foul that I don't think is fair.  When the player is driving on the basket, usually gets up in the air but gives the ball off to a teammate who scores.  The assister's momentum takes him a couple more yards into a defender and the score is nullified by an offensive foul.  Totally after and unrelated to the the pass play.  Why do they call the foul on the assist man then?

Jorge