Re: Hunter Debate

I agree with the general gist that Hunter can be a significant contributor to the Celts in the future with a defined role and significant minutes and with a different coach than the one we have now (alright, my gist). I don't get people being so down on him at this juncture. IMO he hasn't produced in his limited and sporadic minutes of late is because he is trying to do too much to get more minutes (the vicious circle of a player on the bubble). Hunter is first and foremost a banger and rebounder, this is the strength he can bring to the team right now. But of late he seems to be trying to impress with his offense, going to the hoop, instead of setting picks and using good interior passing plus depending on a diet of garbage points which was what got him noticed in the first place. He does possess a very good first step and creates space to get his shot off in traffic but at this point he is not a polished enough finisher and does not possess a consistent mid range jumper for him to
 think of himself as a offensive option in the half court set. He seems to have the tools to develop these skills over the off season but is not there yet. Does this mark him for stardom or a dud? no way of telling at this point, but IMO I think he projects to be at least a decent role player for a good team, at the PF spot that ain't bad.

The point of Blount getting more rebounds because of Hunter is a point I respectfully disagree with, at least over the last 10 games or so. CarrObie rarely pairs Hunter or Mihm with Blount, rather using McCarty. So most of the rebounds that Blount is getting of late, to his credit, is in-spite of being paired with Waltah. To me this presents the biggest problem in getting an effective running game going because of using Waltah at the PF spot, the SF and SG have to help on the defensive boards leading to one man breaks, usually Atkins or Banks where they have to pull back and wait for the troops to come after an all out rebounding effort...... Don't get me going, did I say how much I hate the PF spot, Carrol's use of Waltah, using him as the outside shooter and a perimeter defender? All to spread the floor and gain about 10-12 points via the 3pt shot in about 38 Min's. This at the expense of some regular role and match up options that can be assigned to Mihm and Hunter. AHHHHG!

This brings up the question of what is needed most going into this years draft and MLE pickup for next year? a dead eye 3pt half court gunner at either the SG or SF spot or another front court person? or something else? Judging by Carrol's lineup he would probably say he needs an outside gunner at the SG or SF position to cut Waltah's minutes appreciably. My thought even if Blount leaves is we have Lafrentz (a decent shooter) with hopefully some realization of upside talents of Mihm, Perkins and Hunter to replace Blounts and Waltah's contributions, My take would be to use one of the draft picks to pickup a decent upside Euro C/PF type talent that can pass, shoot, bang and defend. (Ray does such a player at potential Celt pick in this years draft exist?) and another to pick a PG/SG combo to backup Atkins and Banks. I think we are OK but thin in depth at the PG position and to use a pick or two for this purpose would be wise.

Go Celts!