Here comes Nellie

Dimesmack picking up on the Nellie to the Cs theme. With kudos to Animal
House, "Thank you may I have another". As long as Ainge is in charge of the
personnel decisions, it is a match made in heaven. Further evidence below, in
addition to reasons why Danny was wise in dumping Walker....

DJessen33

<Posted on Sun, Mar. 28, 2004

Running for home

Nelson gambling on small lineup change

By Art Garcia

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

ORLANDO, Fla. - Dirk Nowitzki had seen enough Friday night and took the
entire organization to task. Apparently, Don Nelson has seen enough, too.

On the heels of three consecutive losses, and eight in the past 13 games,
Nelson decided to retool the starting lineup. When Michael Finley comes back from
his right calf strain, perhaps today against the Magic, he'll be starting at
small forward instead of shooting guard. Rookie guard Marquis Daniels, coming
off a season-high 31-point effort at Miami, will remain in Finley's old spot.

Nowitzki, Steve Nash and Antoine Walker also will remain in the starting
lineup. Nelson, obviously dissatisfied with the production of the four players he
has used recently at center, wants to use Walker in the middle.

Nelson said the shake-up is a last-ditch effort.

"I'm taking a gamble," Nelson acknowledged Saturday. "We haven't been playing
up to our capabilities. The team is reaching out for help from the coach. I'm
trying to give it to them. If this doesn't work, I don't know where to go, to
be quite honest."

Nash probably said it best not too long ago. Maybe the Mavericks are just a
"good" team. Despite the expectations coming off last season's run to the
Western Conference Finals, they're just not a "great" team.

The Mavs would be hard-pressed to call themselves even a good team right now.
Only 10 games are left before the real season starts. Instead of hitting
overdrive going into the playoffs, the wheels are coming off.

After the 119-118 overtime loss in Miami on Friday, Nowitzki alluded to a
rift within the organization, from owner Mark Cuban to Nelson to the players.
Nelson and Cuban's issues have been well-documented the past two seasons, and,
though they've publicly attempted to skirt the issue lately of another divide,
Nowitzki plainly said both aren't on the "same page."

"When things aren't going well, it's natural to look for answers," Cuban
said. "I don't have any problems with my relationship with Nellie at all. I still
have confidence we are going to turn it around. When I look around the West, I
only see two teams playing at the top of their game -- the Lakers and
Grizzlies. Everyone else is still working to get to the top of their game.

"I hate to lose, and so does everyone on this team, and I know everyone is
focused on getting where we need to be. Ten games is a long time, and a lot can
happen."

Said Nelson: "It's the same ol', same ol'. We don't communicate as much
anymore because he's not around as much anymore. He talks more with Donnie
[Nelson], and that's fine."

But Nowitzki's frustration wasn't reserved for the hierarchy. Some players
haven't bought into Nelson's system and pout after being taken out of games,
Nowitzki said. Though Nowitzki wouldn't say which players, Walker's outburst this
month regarding playing time didn't sit too well with teammates.

The Mavs are 44-28 and two games behind fifth-place Memphis in the West. Not
only are their hopes of a top-four seed and home-court advantage in the first
round slipping away, but they could easily slide into seventh. Houston, which
hosts the Mavs in the season finale, is only two back in the loss column.

The confidence of a Mavericks team that last season went into every game
believing it could win, especially on the road, has taken a hit.

"When things aren't clicking, things have a tendency to compound themselves,"
said Donnie Nelson, president of basketball operations and assistant coach.
"Confidence is down, and you end up digging a deeper hole. Things were clicking
earlier in the year for whatever reason. That's why you see Nellie juggling
lineups."

Though Don Nelson praised the effort in losses at Miami and Indiana, he
hasn't found harmony. The rotation changes nightly, and, with Finley out the past
two games, Nelson has relied even more on rookies Daniels and Josh Howard. The
four centers of late -- Scott Williams, Shawn Bradley, Eduardo Najera and
Danny Fortson -- have had their moments but not enough to warrant consistent
minutes.

Walker and Antawn Jamison have struggled adjusting to new roles and
expectations. And the Big Three -- Nowitzki, Finley and Nash -- aren't without fault;
each has suffered a drop in production in at least one major area.

"I don't think there are any players that can look in the mirror and say,
'I've played consistently good basketball,'" Donnie Nelson said. "That's the
issue. Everyone has had a hand in this from the top on down."

Can everyone get on the same page -- on and off the court -- in only 10
games? Some say yes. Other aren't so sure.

"Ten games can jump-start you one or two spots," Jamison said. "It's
definitely enough time. Our problem has just been on the road. Once you look at these
road games with the exception of the Philadelphia game, we were pretty much in
every game.

"We just have to find a way to get it done. I don't think we're thinking
negative or 'here we go again' when we're on the road. We just got a couple bad
breaks."

Added Bradley: "We have to make it enough time to get the momentum going in a
different way than where it's going right now. We need to go into the
playoffs on as positive of a note as we possibly can. We have to figure out a way to
do that. It's not a starting over."

The Mavs won 19 of 23 games before the recent swoon. The younger Nelson
believes that's reason enough for optimism.

"It's rekindling something we know we're capable of doing," he said. "When
you fall off a bike, your confidence might be down, but you don't forget how to
push the pedals."

Shuffling the deck

Coach Don Nelson says he's changing the starting lineup to try to jump-start
the Mavericks:

Before Pos. Now
Scott Williams C Antoine Walker
Dirk Nowitzki PF Dirk Nowitzki
Antoine Walker SF Michael Finley
Michael Finley SG Marquis Daniels
Steve Nash PG Steve Nash

Playoff outlook

If the NBA playoffs started today, the Mavericks would be the sixth seed in
the Western Conference and would face the third-seeded Lakers. Los Angeles
would have home-court advantage.>