Re: [Celtics' Stuff ] Wyc on the Zone.

In a message dated 3/18/04 6:39:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jim_metz@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Wyc Grousbeck, on the Zone today, hinted that if the C's make the playoffs,
> Raef would be ready, he says his knee feels better than it has in years.
>   I say that Blount would be foolish to walk away from the Celtics. He has a
> real presence here, as opposed to walking into a new picture and if the
> money is close, I think he'll stay.
>   Does Cleveland sign eric Williams? He is making very little impact in
> Cleveland now. I'd offer him the 1.5 million exception. I'd love to have him
> back. Battie and Kedrick Brown have been no factor at all.  Grousbeck also
> mentioned that a friend of a friend, passed on a message from Walker that he'd be
> willing to rejoin the Celtics next season.
>   Would the C's take him back? What if he exercised his option and was
> willing to sign for the mid level?
>   How does that trade look now? Walker and Delk for Welsch, Atkins, LaFrentz
> and an ever more valuable draft pick?

Wow. Raef back for the playoffs? How long would it take for him to get into
game shape? Do the C's want to risk a re-injury rushing him back too soon? I
wouldn't take the chance. I'd let him continue to rehab over the off-season and
come back into training camp 100%.

Blount? I think he should be re-signed. The C's won't be able to replace him
with a comparable Center for the same amount of money. I'd try to keep him and
trade Yogi Stewart and Jumaine Jones (to ATL as part of a package for Jason
Terry? or Stephen Jackson???)

EWill? Yeah I'd take him back for cheap $$$ if he'd come back. I don't see it
though. He's been traded not once but twice from Boston. I see him sticking
around Cleveland now that they are on a roll of sorts. Silas reportedly loves
him.

Antoine back in Boston? I just don't see it happening. He'd never agree to
the MLE, at least not from the C's. And if you call your former boss "a snake,"
that's got to be at the very minimum the verbal equivalent of throwing a towel
in his face. I could see Robert Horry playing for Ainge sooner than I could
see AW. :-)

The trade is still an "Incomplete" in my book until the draft pick is made.
And any FA is signed (besides Blount). Rafer Alston???  Brian Skinner???
Darvin Ham???

But I saw signs of Pierce finally "getting it" on Wednesday night. The long
passes up court after a rebound, the quick outlet passes to Atkins after
rebounds to let Chucky direct the team and run the break. The game came easier for
Pierce because he played within himself. And as a result, his offense was much
better and more efficient. As Tommy would say "Good stuff!" One of Pierce's
best games in awhile

The C's are going into the stretch playing some of their best ball. They are
8-2 over the last 10; only Indy at 8-2 and Cleveland at 8-2 and Detroit at 9-1
are playing as well or better than the C's in the East right now. These last
13 games I'd like to see John Carroll turn Ricky loose. I was watching the
other night and Ricky came down the lane on a fast break one on one and he scored
easily against a big man -- I forgot who it was -- and I thought to myself
"On a fast break, is there any one player in the NBA that you would least want
to see coming at you one on one"???

Ricky certainly has to be a Top 3 guy in that respect. You risk getting
posterized forever with his freakish athleticism and hops.  His midrange, pull up
and pop jumper is deadly. He could score 12 - 14 points a game just on that
shot alone. if he gets in a groove and rolling these last 13 games, he could
carry the C's and make Pierce's life a lot easier. Count me as happy to see the
trade to bring him to Boston.

10 - 3 the rest of the way?  A split in Texas would leave them needing to go
9 - 2 and I don't see why they can't do that. How sweet would finishing at
.500 be? Sweet enough after all that has transpired this year.

"What a long, strange trip it's been."

CeltsSteve

"Turn Ricky loose!"