Re: It's only a matter of time before Iverson departs

Josh wrote:

he's a top ten NBA talent.  (Shaq, Duncan,

Kobe, KG, McGrady, Kidd, Nowitski, Pierce, Iverson, James)

--- --- ---

Josh, are you openly challenging me? This is a test, isn't it? Well,
I'll throw my two cents in (surprise, surprise ... )

Top 10:

Shaq

Duncan

Kobe

Garnett

T-Mac

Kidd

Nowitzki

James (if not now, certainly within a year or two)

Yao Ming (if we're projecting for LeBron, we have to do the same for
Yao)

Jermaine O'Neal

Peja Stojakovic

OK, that's 11, but those are the guys I'd consider clear upgrades on
Pierce and Iverson, who I lump in the next group along with guys like
Ray Allen, Michael Finley, Carmello Anthony, Baron Davis, Steve Francis,
Steve Nash, Mike Bibby, Elton Brand, Pau Gasol, Kenyon Martin, and a few
others. I'm not so sure I'm rating the point guards high enough. Steve
Nash probably is the most valuable Maverick. Bibby is terribly
underrated (not underpaid).

Anyway, Pierce is out of the elite group until he returns to 2001-02
form. In that top 11, by the way, there's a clear cutoff in my mind.
Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, Garnett, T-Mac and Kidd are the truly elite players,
with LeBron and Yao well on their way to joining that list. Nowitzki,
Jermaine O'Neal and Peja are a notch below because they don't make
everyone better -- the others do.

As for the original point about Iverson, no thanks, and it has nothing
to do with his tattoos. He doesn't practice (only Bill Russell ever
earned that right), is completely uncoachable, plays a style that will
never result in a championship and has seen his best years. No way. Not
at the price it would cost to get him (think Pierce).

Speaking of Pierce, it was nice to see him play better Saturday night.
If he can continue to do that, the Celts are in good shape for the
playoffs and the future. If those games continue to be the exception
rather than the rule, they're in trouble. By the way, the difference
between the lottery pick that comes with missing the playoffs and the
pick as the last playoff team is shrinking. Right now it would be three
spots 11-14. With that difference, it's better to make the playoffs. But
a pick as high as seven still is within reach. In my opinion, the
worst-case scenario is what we see now - just missing the playoffs, but
playing well enough to miss out on a top-eight pick. I want them either
to make the playoffs, or go in the tank and get that high pick. One or
the other. No in between.

Mark