Re: [Celtics' Stuff ] "It's like a painful death,"-Globe

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not calling Thomas an administrative genius - ask anyone associated with the old CBA (league, not agreement) about that. But he really isn't responsible for creating the 90MM payroll, even if he may not have reduced it a great deal and may have slightly increased it. Their payroll was already 90MM at the beginning of the season, and near there last season. While trade rules under the cap limited how much he could reduce it short term.  You can slap at him more for not eliminating the other problem they had - it wasn't just 90MM, it was 90MM worth of long term contracts. He certainly hasn't improved that any, which WAS within the range of what he could do. While as to the buyouts, they don't increase the total salary. Signing another expensive player to fill the roster spot while you're still paying the old one will, but that has more to do with the new player than the buyout. And depending upon the terms of the buyout may still end up cheaper.

-----Original Message-----
From: CeltsSteve@xxxxxxx
Sent: Mar 13, 2004 10:13 AM
To: Celticsstuffgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, celtics@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Celtics' Stuff ] "It's like a painful death,"-Globe

Isiah might be a media darling but what the media isn't giving any column
space to is that while he has turned over their roster he/they have added
considerable cost in the form of buyouts. HoopsHype.com has been down and I usually
check salary info there but if the Luxury Tax is enacted this year, I read the
other day the Knicks salaries are close to $92M.  If that is an accurate
figure, that would incur Isiah the privilege to write another check close to $35M
or $37M or somewhere in that ridiculous neighborhood.

Ainge, like most GMs in the league, is operating in an entirely different
paradigm with respect to budget and accountability with ownership. He's turned
over the roster but regardless of how Baker-gate shakes out, has kept salary
about at an even keel or reduced it.
<snip>