Re: ESPN.com: Arbitrator rules Vin Baker can sign elsewhere

At 02:44 PM 3/11/2004, Art Silva wrote:
I guess that means since it's the same arbitrator he won't be making the
Celts reinstate him. Now there will be no push from the Union for an earlier
hearing on the original grievance. Which I believe is slated for next month.

The point about the Union is an excellent one. Particularly since reports are that the Baker camp prefers a short term showcase deal now with the longer term contract coming out of true FA this summer. OTOH, I wouldn't get carried away with the idea that this means the arbitrator won't make the Cs reinstate him though. Viewed another way, you could take it as a strong indicator he is on Vin's side in the whole thing. Or letting him play now could be simply a matter of no reason not to on a short term deal, with benefits to everyone in keeping his skill level up and something to do other than start drinking again. The Cs DID waive him after all, whatever comes out of the contract. Rather like a laid off real world employee getting a temp job in between getting laid off and picked back up by his old company (or signing on with someone else)

Kim