From: owner-celtics@xxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-celtics@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Shawn Niles
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 4:15 PM
To: sgiovanello@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Celtic4Hire@xxxxxxx; jahill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; celtics@xxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Twan rearing his ugly head

That is sort of flawed thinking though. There's only those few contracts

because very few guys have come up for extensions that could go that
long.
Over the next few years you'll see others extended through the same time

frame, and probably many for more money than Raef makes.

Great site for salaries though, huh?

<Celtic4Hire@xxxxxxx>,<jahill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<celtics@xxxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: Twan rearing his ugly head
>Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:30:28 -0500
>

>Yep, its opionion based and, to be honest, I hope your opinion turns
out
>to be right because it will be better for the Celts.  My head and my
gut
>both tell me it wont.
>
>As for the contention that his salary is 51st or so in the league, it
>also escalates every year.  Its:
>
>$8,178,750 (2003-2004)
>

>$9,087,500 (2004-2005)
>

>$9,996,250 (2005-2006)
>

>$10,905,000 (2006-2007)
>

>$11,813,750 (2007-2008)
>

>$12,722,500 (2008-2009)
>
>That means (counting this year) the Celtics owe Raef 62,703,375 million
>over the life of the contract.  He will be under contract into 2009.
>That's a lot of dollars and a lot of years.
>
>Looking down the line, many teams don't even have a guy on their roster
>signed this long.  Other guys under current contracts in 08-08 are:
>
>Richard Hamilton 10.5 mil
>
>Steve Francis 16.3
>
>Jermaine O'Neal 21.3 mil
>
>Elton Brand 16.4
>
>Corey Maggette 8.4 mil
>
>Lamar Odom 12.6 mil
>
>Kevin Garnett 24 mil
>
>Wally Szerbiak 13 mil
>
>Jason Kidd 21.3 mil
>
>Baron Davis 16.3 mil
>
>Stephon Marbury 21.9
>
>Juwan Howard 7.35 mil
>
>Allen Iverson 21.9 mil
>
>Eric Snow 7.3 mil
>
>Shawn Marion 16.3 mil
>
>Mike Bibby 14.5
>
>Brad Miller 11.7 mil
>
>Tim Duncan 20.5
>
>Radoslav Nesterovic 8.5 mil
>
>Gilbert Arenas 12.8 mil
>
>Jerry Stackhouse 9 mil
>

>So, the guys under contrat making morethan Raef in the final year of
his
>deal will be:  Gilbert Arenas, Tim Duncan, Shawn Marion, Allen Iverson,
>Stephon Marbury, Baron Davis, Jason Kidd, Szerbiak, Garnett, Elton
>Brand, Jermaine O'Neal, and Steve Francis.
>
>Looking at those deals, I only see two that I would say are equal or
>worse - obviously 1 is Stackhouse and the 2nd is still up in the air in
>Arenas.  Take out those two and you are in pretty elite company.
>Arguably, some of the other guys who are getting older (Kidd and AI)
are
>being rewarded for service prior to those years.  However, it's a
pretty
>elite list.

Dallas
>was
> >DESPERATE to move at almost any cost.
> >
> >The one saving grace in this trade is Vin Baker. If Vin had not drank
> >himself out of a job, the Raef contract would have grown more onerous
>each
> >year as we would be stuck with 2 max and one creeping closer to max
>deal
> >(if someone can confirm the dollars per year on Raefs remaining
>contract I
> >would appreciate I have not been able to find it). That would have
>greatly
> >reduced flexibility and left Danny with very few options for this
year
>and
> >next year outside of the midlevel.
> >
> >As for his age, he is going to be 29 this year I think. Thats a
veteran
>in
> >this league - not a youngster. That being said, if his knee holds up
>and
> >with chronic knee problems the trend is the other way, he could be a
> >productive player in the league for another 5-7 years. I am not
arguing

> >that he cant play. Its just when you lump in his contract he becomes
> >pretty unattractive guy to have on your team in an era of cap and tax
>and a
> >limited pockets ownership in Boston.
> >

> >Shawn Niles wrote:
> >
> >>Many would argue that every one of Danny's trades have been for guys
>that
> >>have more talent than the ones he shipped out.. AND.. that he has
not
> >>taken on any unmovable contracts. You say Raef could never be
traded.
>Many
> >>disagree with that. He was traded to us, wasn't he? And now another
>year
> >>is gone from his deal since then, which if we go by your Antoine
>logic,
> >>only makes Raef's deal more attractive. Plus, despite your saying
that
>he
> >>is not, Raef IS actually a young guy.
> >>
> >>Ricky could easily be moved. Same with Mihm, Atkins, or Stewart.
Danny
>is
> >>not taking on contracts that he will be stuck with. He could move
>anyone
> >>on this roster at any time.

celtics@xxxxxxxx

>guy
>down
>prize
where
>you
>every
>you
>reasonable
>those. I
>Danny

Teams
>are
>build

>very
>the
>wasn't

>valuable.

>each
>chit.
>just

>for

>lucky
>Baker
>really
>almost
>he
>think
>be
>saddled
>max
>not

>that
>deal
>saying

Get business advice and resources to improve your work life, from
bCentral.
http://special.msn.com/bcentral/loudclear.armx