Sons of Conner Henry

Maybe this is the start of a whole series "Catching up with..." Acie
Earl, Michael Smith, Dirk Minniefield, Ala Abdelnaby, et al.  the whole
list of folks we suggested for the "Sons of..." discussion board.

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/
2004_02_29_pressbox_archive.htm#107836731435165531

Catching up with...
CONNER HENRY
By Jon Goode

CLAREMONT, CA - On January 7, 1987 the "Legend of Conner Henry" was
born among Boston Celtics fans at the Boston Garden.

Henry spent 11 months with the team, but it's his Celtics debut to this
day that when you bring up his name Celtics fans begin reminiscing
about that night.

Henry came off the bench in the fourth quarter with the Celtics leading
by 25 and to many was just another 6-7 basketball player out of
Cal-Santa Barbara who had signed a 10-day contract. However, when the
game was over the name Conner Henry was permanently etched in Celtics
history.

Henry scored 11 points, going a perfect 4 for 4 from floor, including
drilling three 3-pointers and by the time Boston had defeated the
Milwaukee Bucks 119-92 the crowd at the Garden was chanting Hen-ry,
Hen-ry and was giving him a standing ovation.

Thus the "Legend of Conner Henry" was born.

"It was an unbelievable first night," said Henry. "It was garbage time
so it was a safe time to put me in. When I got in I was at full energy
and ready to go. It was an ideal time for me because I basically
spotted up and hit my first three and that relaxed me. It just flowed
from there.

"It was magical and just a great way to start. I got a lot of support
and a lot of attention right away."

After his 10-day contract was up, Henry's performance helped him earn a
roster spot with the Celtics for the rest of the season.

"I was ecstatic," commented Henry when he found out he had earned a
roster spot. "I knew I played well briefly, but I knew I hadn't gotten
a lot of time. When they told me they were going to keep me it was a
great feeling for me, my family and my friends.

"DJ (Dennis Johnson) was instrumental in helping me get acclimated to
Boston. All the guys on the team were very helpful. I was living a
dream."

Henry was released by the Celtics the following year and played one
more season in the NBA with the Bucks and the Kings.

After the NBA, Henry spent 10 seasons playing in Europe all over the
Mediterranean in four different countries (Italy, Spain, France, &
Greece). Each summer after playing in Europe, Henry would return to
Montana where he lived for over 10 years.

After Europe, Henry continued to live in Montana and took a year off
from basketball working for a Marketing Consulting Company.

After a year out of basketball, Henry along with his wife, Fleur, and
son Jacob, 4, decided to return to his hometown of Claremont, CA. Henry
then returned to basketball as an assistant coach at Claremont McKenna
College, where he has been for the past three years.

Also at Claremont McKenna College, Henry serves as the Associate
Director of the Career Services Center.

"My main job is helping the students gain employment," said Henry. "I
do a lot of employer outreach, recruiting and having them to come to
the campus. I try to match certain kids with the employer. I have been
doing this for about six months now and am enjoying it."

To this day, Henry will never forget his playing days with the Celtics.
He played on the parquet in the Garden with the likes of Larry Bird,
Kevin McHale and Robert Parish.

"It was very simple basketball," said Henry. "I tell the story where I
went from the Celtics knowing four or five plays to the Bucks where
there was a whole manual of plays. The Celtics knew how to play ball.
They shared the ball, made the extra pass, and they defended. They knew
when to get Birdie (Larry Bird) and Kevin (McHale) the ball and we all
played off them.

"Overall it was an incredible experience for me being there on that
team at that time getting to play for the greatest organization
historically. I have nothing but good memories. It was a great, great
experience and I would not
trade it for the world."