RE: ''You wonder where Ainge is taking the Celtics'' - MacMullan (Globe)

It's going to be really interesting to see where Obie lands. Everyone is
looking at New Jersey. Does anyone else see that as a disaster waiting
to happen (in other words, please let it happen)? The minute the Nets
become a half-court team, they're finished. And does anyone think Obie,
who calls a play every trip down the floor, wouldn't turn them into that
kind of team?

Philly, on the other hand, seems like a great fit. He has a team built
around one guy who he can isolate all the time and let him go
one-on-one. He has a lot of willing role players who have won with a
defensive emphasis before. And Obie, of course, is a Philly guy. That
seems like a good fit for him. Of course, Philly would max out as a
mid-level playoff team under Obie. As would any team he coaches.

Mark

--- --- ---

Kestas wrote:

I respect him for his accomplishments, but not for his mule-headed
resistance
to playing exciting, team basketball. He is just what the NBA doesn't
need,
though several teams that are currently in disarray may disagree. I'm
pretty
sure that watching a team coached by Obie will never again be the way I
want to

spend 2.5 hours.