Re: Jimbo Gone: Hoopsworld Comprehensive Look

At 09:47 AM 1/28/2004, Way Of The Ray wrote:
Seems slightly conspiracy theory riddled, but very comprehensive...

The Real Reason Jim O'Brien Quit By Philip Maymin for HOOPSWORLD.com Jan
28, 2004, 02:35
http://www.hoopsworld.com

Mmmm, thanks for passing it on. Unlike a lot of conversation here (Obie quit *just* because of Danny not liking his ugly offense? Come OFF it Josh, you can do better than that. Or posts insisting upon how stubborn and slow to change Obie is, then talking about his supposedly quitting more or less on a whim? Uh, huh.), I think it's got the essence of what probably was going on. Also fits in with what I was hearing on The Zone yesterday -that the fundamental philosophical difference wasn't one particular offense vs another or particular player minutes or anything like that so much as Ainge building a team focused more around offense in general that kept undercutting what mattered most to Obie - his defense. I mean I like what I've seen of Ricky since he came here as much as anyone, but even people responding to criticism of his defense with gushing on about how well he's fit in and played unselfish he's been haven't attempted to defend his defensive liabilities.

BTW, one thing that hasn't been mentioned is I wonder how Lester Conner feels about who the interim coach is, since he's made no secret of his own ambitions.

And for people brainstorming about who to bring in as head coach, you might want to reconsider a name that's appeared a few times. Cowens was an amazing player and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting him. But for cripes sake, the main reason he didn't work out in Charlotte was lack of patience with young players, especially because they didn't show the same sort of work ethic and intensity he played with himself. NOT exactly the ideal choice for here. As far as I can tell, we've got to be one of the youngest teams in the league..

Kim