Welsch = JJ ??

By the standard we held for Joe Johnson, Jiri Welsch should be demoted and traded.  Each showed early ability to play real basketball, then faded a bit.  Are we to give up on Jiri because he has slipped in recent games?

Of course, I think not.  And I still date the malaise of the Celtics with the trade of Joe Johnson.*  Now, Ainge must find a coach who can push the right buttons for our young players, develop an offensive philosophy, use the offensive brilliance of Paul Pierce, and return the Celtics to the brand of basketball that is synonymous with the game the Celtics taught the world to play.  I think Ainge has the right focus; hope he hasn't burned bridges with the players.  (But O'Brien can hardly win the approval of the new players by saying he opposes the personnel moves.)  I do admire O'Brien for walking away, if that's what happened.

*I still think O'Brien had most to do with the loss of Johnson.  Chris Wallace (in the stands) clearly was hurting the night the trade was announced.  It was shortsightedness at its worst.  Cheers, Gene  (Now, the only one we have to kick around is Walter)