Purgatory

We are somewhere between Heaven and hell. Fans conveniently blame
Obie, but those more familiar with the intricacies of the team (the
players, other NBA coaches, the national media) completely sympathize
with Obie.

Ainge threw Obie one too many curve balls bringing him groceries
that never fit his diet, or for that matter, many team's diets. Banks is
fast, LaFrentz and Welsch are slow, Mihm and Jones are slugs (slow
learners), Hunter is one-dimensional... no mix, no simpatico.  More
importantly, no court-visioned PG nor classic PF.

Obie had the audacity to question whether Banks, Pierce, Perkins,
LaFrentz, Hunter (the future lineup most of you want to see) had
the talent to constitute a future championship team.  But he never
kidded himself, he knew our talent was/is veeeeeeery mediocre.
A stronger bench? It all depends on how rosy your glasses are.
Why wouldnbt our bench be stronger since we have two authentic
NBA starters and thirteen NBA benchees.

Ainge may recognize athleticism, but Obie was the master at knowing
his players and extracting the very best out of 2nd rate talents such as
Blount, Welsch, James, McCarty. He was responsible for our skim milk
being able to masquerade as cream.