Re: Hunter, Obie and Pierce... my unsolicited opinion...

Mark,

Real quickly before I head home... as Ravi said, the state of the Cs is too
painful to keep discussing. Plus, it seems that there are far less list
subscribers than there used to be, and those who are here are more likely
contemplating the Pats.

But to throw some fat into the fire, here's some thoughts on the whole "What
Is Danny Thinking Continuing To Keep Obie Around!?" subject:

IMO, Danny kept Obie on board as a PR move/reward for the coach who brought
the Cs back to the ECF. I'm also thinking that with their pre-season
conversations, Obie indicated that he wanted the team to play like Danny
wants them to play. Therefore, Danny traded away Antoine and has been
striving to upgrade the overall talent level to give Obie that
opportunity--to be evaluated after the season was over.

Now, maybe Danny was suspicious as to whether Obie would really change his
style with Antoine gone, or maybe he wasn't. But either way, he is now
letting things play out, which of course, is playing out badly for Obie.
When Danny fires Obie--which I believe is inevitable--there won't be as much
heat on him for firing the coach that picked up the pieces post-Pitino and
brought the Cs some post-seasons success. In fact, as has happened on this
list, more and more will call for Obie's dismissal and will applaud when it
finally happens.

I believe Danny planned all along to rework the roster this year and see
where things fell with Obie and the coaching staff by the end of the season.
And the way things are right now, I think Obie is gone at season's end with
someone from the Celtic family replacing him. That last bit is probably
somewhat my wishful thinking, but from observing Danny so far this year, I
can't imagine that he's happy with the "system" Boston's playing and the
lack of development playing time for the youngsters (save Marcus) and that
it's now only a matter of time, probably off-season, before a coaching
change is made.

Just my 2 cents,

Rich D.
(from the artic Maine tundra)