And The Celtics Free Agent Signee Should Be....

Read the article...

Greeks praise Mac. TA's `Magic Johnson' By Eli Sahar
Haaretz.com

"If the games between Panathinaikos and Maccabi Tel Aviv are the European version of the rivalry between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Boston Celtics, then Sarunas Jesikevicius is the Magic Johnson of the story," the Greek daily Ta Nea wrote Friday after Maccabi's humiliation of Panathinaikos in the Euroleague.

Maccabi has had to do without Sarunas' contribution in quite a few games this season, but when the European Championship MVP is on form, then the fans are in for a real experience.

"It's just a coincidence that I'm good against Panathinaikos, but they are a team that I really respect so perhaps that's why things work out for me against them," Sarunas said Friday at the Athens Airport on his way back to Israel.

Despite his stellar 30 point game on Thursday, the Lithuanian tried to cool down expectations.

"We haven't won anything yet. It was just another game on the long route to the Final Four."

Former Maccabi Tel Aviv favorite, Panathinaikos point guard Ariel McDonald called his old team the best in Europe, but Sarunas disagrees. "The best team in Europe is the one that will take the podium on May 1 after the Final Four at Yad Eliahu. Ariel McDonald can say what he likes."

(Either him or Stromile Swift, Arvydas Macijauskas, or Andres Nocioni.
Swift athletic rebounder, Arvydas is a pure shooter and scorer, the Litho Andrew
Toney, and Nocioni is a star. I hope Ainge isn't planning to use
the exception on McInnis - he seems to like him a lot, but he's a bargain basement
signing these days.)
Ray