Anyone out there who wants to talk Celtics, not Patriots?

I know most of you in and around Boston will have one-track minds for the next two weeks, and I don't blame you, but in case anyone wants to think about the Celts for a little while...

1.	Obie went nutzo over the defense after yesterday's game. Yes, they have a problem on defense right now. No, I do not think that is their biggest problem. That was one pathetic offensive display yesterday. No movement, no passing, no plan. Pitiful. The Celtics had 19 assists in the game, and the bulk of them came in garbage time. They don't score, they lose some intensity on defense. They fall behind, they start taking bad shots trying to make it up too fast. Yes, they need to defend better. But the answer isn't sticking Pierce out there with Blount, McCarty, James and Welsch for 40 minute a game, which is what Obie seemed to be suggesting yesterday (although he may be leaning toward Banks for defensive purposes). They lost the Orlando game because of that thinking. Obie stuck his "defensive" lineup out there down the stretch and in OT, and that always leads to the Paul Pierce show. No one else creates anything, they wait for Pierce to do his thing, and when he comes up empty, they have no answer. Is there some kind of rule against playing Pierce, Welsch and Davis together? Is that not allowed? I know Jiri isn't really a point guard, but when you're struggling for offense, doesn't it make sense to play him there to get your three best players on the floor at the same time? I mean, it's not like James and Banks are Jason Kidd.

2.	Substitutions... Everyone is complaining about chemistry right now... Obie isn't helping matters. His substitution patters are bizarre. Jiri got off to a great start yesterday, then sat down and didn't make another appearance until late in the game. The box score says he had 30 minutes, but he was nowhere to be found as the Spurs built the big lead in the second and third quarters. The team gets off to a decent start with Mihm and Blount in there together, but we never see that lineup again. Mihm hardly sees the floor after his opening run. Then he starts an entirely different lineup at the beginning of each second half. What happened to defining roles?

3.	I'm going to sound blasphemous, but right now I look forward to the stretches when Pierce is out of the game. He's brutal. When he's out, Davis and Welsch are in. This is going to sound crazy, but Pierce could learn something from those two (even Ricky) about shot selection. Pierce's shot selection right now can only be described as Antoinesque. And it's starting to create some bad habits. Pierce used to be great about setting his feet and going straight up with his shot. Watch him now. He's been taking so many fallaways and step-backs that even when he's open, his legs are kicking out and flailing around. Even on free throws, he's all over the place with his form. Just terrible shot mechanics. And he's all but stopped attacking the basket. He's playing terrible.

4.	Don't be surprised if Ainge at least listens to offers for Pierce this summer. If some team came calling with the right big guy - I'm talking Jermaine O'Neal, Pau Gasol, Zach Randolph, (obviously, you're probably talking about a package where some of these guys are involved - I could see him pulling the trigger. He has a surplus at the wing positions with Pierce, Davis and Welsch. Davis won't get you much because of his rep, and Welsch doesn't have the reputation yet (and he's more of a complementary piece anyway). Pierce far and away would bring the most value. So you'd have Banks, Davis, Welsch, (insert big man here) and Perkins. With Mihm, Lafrentz, James, draft picks providing depth. It's a long shot, and would take incredible guts by Ainge, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. You know who would be the perfect fit talent-wise and would be available for a discount? Rasheed Wallace. Too bad he's insane. I'm in no way advocating a trade for Sheed. Just saying he's exactly the type of player (at his best) the Celts need.

5.	It was great to hear some national analysts (OK, so it was Dan Majerle and Sean Elliott... ) actually giving Ainge credit for his moves. Jim Grey (sideline reporter) said something about the players and coaches in Boston being furious over Ainge tearing apart this team that they felt was on the verge of winning the Eastern Conference. Majerle and Elliott scoffed at that. I'm paraphrasing, but they said the Celtics were a mediocre team with no upside. They said Ainge was on the right track and that anyone who thought the Celtics were close to anything last season was kidding themselves.

6.	Brandon Hunter got some more garbage time minutes yesterday. He was OK. Six points and a couple of rebounds. I'd like to see more of him, but I'm disappointed in how much he's drifting around when he's out there. I'd like to see him play with a purpose. Maybe with some more extended minutes, he would. It certainly wouldn't hurt to give him a shot at this point. That goes for Kendrick, too.

That's it. Go Mike Vrabel (former Buckeye)!

Mark