Brutal game

Just an awful game. Lousy defense, lousy offense, lousy everything. They didn't play hard, together or smart. Just a terrible display of basketball. And as much as Shira wants to shrug the whole thing off due to Pierce's injury (did you read her stuff today? She's president of the PR firm.), that wasn't the reason they lost. They lost because they didn't defend, didn't move, didn't pass the ball, didn't play tough... didn't do anything well. Just miserable. If you missed it, be thankful.

A few observations:

... Pierce is hurt, but it's a sore, swollen left hand. I'm sure it had something to do with his performance, but not everything. Way too many quick, long, step-back jumpers. That's when he gets in trouble. His whole game opens up when he gets the ball out of his hands and, when he gets it back, attacks the basket and gets to the line. He didn't do any of that last night.

... No one else did a darn thing worth talking about. Everyone was bad.

... OK, I'll talk about Hunter, since he got some run at the end of the game. Does anyone else think he looks a little heavy? Didn't he seem slimmer in the summer league? Is it my imagination? Anyway, Ainge did say during his second-quarter interview that Hunter has been very close to some significant playing time. That was the most interesting nugget from Danny. Maybe we'll be seeing more of Hunter in the next few weeks.

... More from Danny... He really didn't say much of substance, but here goes... Been scouting all the high school kids who may come out and thinks there could be 10-12 who do. Now he's turning his attention to college players. ... Leo Papile is scouting in China right now. In related news, I hope the Celtics don't draft a Chinese guy. ...  Says there are some good European players and some good college seniors. So, to recap, he thinks there are some good high school, college and European players in the upcoming draft. Thanks for the insight, Danny. ... Loves Kendrick Perkins. Said Kendrick has added three inches to his vertical leap and shed 3% in body fat to improve his athleticism. Said Obie doesn't trust him because he's 19 years old, but followed that up with something along the lines of "you have to give him a chance at some point." I may have misinterpreted what he said, but I took it as an indication that Danny thinks Kendrick could help this season if Obie gives him a chance. Did others hear that the same way?... Says Ricky loves to play, which is important, but that he and Marcus need to be more disciplined. Says they don't value each possession. ... Says Raef is doing well, but won't play this season. Expect him back and more athletic next season. ... Says he worries about the Baker thing becoming a distraction, but it is what it is. ... Says even he's surprised at how fast Jiri has developed.

That's all I can remember. I'm sure he said more. Can anyone else fill in any blanks?

Nothing else to add about the game. It was an awful performance.

Mark