Re: Tommy quotes!

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle wrote:

A simplistic solution to a simplistic problem. when the C's were running well, he moved on to other subjects.

Such as...let me guess...bashing the refs?

But the fact is, they have NOT been
running--not well and not consistently. Granted, it's not the excruciating turtle-like pace of last season, but neither is it as fast as they have shown themselves capable of. Part of that is the new guys being unfamiliar with the offensive and defensive sets.

I'm not sure what running has to with knowledge of offensive and defensive sets. Unless, that is, Obie is calling a play on every fastbreak.

However, it is not reasonable to discount the fact that when they DO run, they get good looks at the hoop.

No one's discounting that. I'm the biggest proponent of fast-break basketball. But as others have pointed out, running doesn't solve all problems, nor can it be done without the possession of the ball. Tommy seems to think that running can cure all ills, including the lack of rebounding.

As to the refs, he's been much more restrained than in past seasons, picking and choosing his comments with greater precision.

That's a personal impression that I don't share. When he repeats each official's name, saying "remember that name" in his ominous Rush Limbaugh voice, that doesn't sound "much more restrained" to me.

Like him, I cringe whenever Violet Palmer works a Celtics game. Yet he went out of his way to say something positive about the person I believe to be one of the most incompetent officials in the NBA.

Yeah, he likes to make a huge show out of his (rare) conceding some indefensible position, as though he's a paragon of fairness towards the officials.

Yes, he still gives them--and us--an earful, but that just allows some of us to vent by proxy, letting Tommy appear unreasonable while we keep our blood pressure down. :>)

I'm sure you find him quite useful, Snoopy :)

Well, I'll trade a cookie for a Tommy Point--if any of you happen to see him, please mention this. :>) Seriously, I'd like to see the C's get more aggressive at both ends. Not to the extent of "stepping on their faces", but it would be nice to see rebounding become a serious part of the C's offense. I think that the C's don't yet move fast enough to successfully draw charge calls. But they could.

I think of drawing charges as the most bullsh*t skill/call in the NBA. I wish they did away with that. Not with the charge calls per se, but the discipline of "taking charges" as practiced and officiated in today's NBA. What is this, some inverted version of bullfighting? Unless you've stood there for a while and really got run over, or were legitimately bulldozed by the offensive player while staying in front of him, it should be a non-call, a blocking foul, or better yet, a technical for flopping. They give out yellow cards for flopping in soccer; why not punish it in basketball? See Dave Cowens for an example of what a real foul is.

What the heck--I'll trade a cookie for a Gorman Point, too. Mrs. Fields chocolate chip cookie. But I want a t-shirt too. :>)

I heard that Mrs. Fields cookies aren't the same since she sold the company. Is it true? I wouldn't know...

Despite a well-deserved reputation, Tommy has done better at restraining himself this season. I don't think he's QUITE as serious as he sometimes sounds. Sometimes, his tone of voice doesn't sound angry, just bemused. Though I still bet that Tommy will become the first broadcaster ejected from a Celtics game. :>)

I'm not betting against that... Kestas