Re: Tommy quotes!

At 02:32 PM 1/8/2004, Kestutis Kveraga wrote:

>--- You wrote:
>He meant *cannot not like* Tommy gets excited during games and lets his
>emotions run. Most games he's the sole source of entertainment.
>--- end of quote ---
>
>I don't consider incessant ranting about the refs entertainment. He's just an
>old crank who's increasingly out of touch with reality.  He still knows
>basketball, but his insights get drowned out by torrents of angry
>screaming and
>simplistic "solutions" ("Run!.....RUN!!!!!!!!!").

A simplistic solution to a simplistic problem.  when the C's were running
well, he moved on to other subjects.  But the fact is, they have NOT been
running--not well and not consistently.  Granted, it's not the excruciating
turtle-like pace of last season, but neither is it as fast as they have
shown themselves capable of.  Part of that is the new guys being unfamiliar
with the offensive and defensive sets.  However, it is not reasonable to
discount the fact that when they DO run, they get good looks at the hoop.

He's an old-fashioned kind of player--and coach--who agonizes that many of
today's players lack basic fundamentals of the game.  When Blount uses that
hook shot, Tommy encourages him--and he's right to do so.  He's also been
quick to point out that the C's defense is dependent on a team
rotation.  When that rotation fails, it inevitably leaves the open man at
the arc with tons of time to line up a shot.  Like many of us, he's well
and truly tired of the three being overused, though it's obvious he's been
asked to give that a rest for now.

As to the refs, he's been much more restrained than in past seasons,
picking and choosing his comments with greater precision.  Like him, I
cringe whenever Violet Palmer works a Celtics game.  Yet he went out of his
way to say something positive about the person I believe to be one of the
most incompetent officials in the NBA.  Yes, he still gives them--and
us--an earful, but that just allows some of us to vent by proxy, letting
Tommy appear unreasonable while we keep our blood pressure down.  :>)

He may be old--and at times, cranky--but he's also someone who knows
whereof he speaks (or shouts).  He may hit people over the head on some
subjects, but that's because he honestly believes these ideas will
work.  So far as the running, he's right.  He's also been pointing out
where Pierce has been shaky at the free throw line, and discussing how
Pierce can become more like we expect him to be at the line.  I've also
learned to appreciate his cognizance of the proper pass at the proper
time.  Sounds like he listened to Cooz.  :>)

>The Tommy point business has
>become really tiresome as well. It's as though taking a charge or saving a
>loose ball were going above and beyond the players'  duties.

Well, I'll trade a cookie for a Tommy Point--if any of you happen to see
him, please mention this.  :>)  Seriously, I'd like to see the C's get more
aggressive at both ends.  Not to the extent of "stepping on their faces",
but it would be nice to see rebounding become a serious part of the C's
offense.  I think that the C's don't yet move fast enough to successfully
draw charge calls.  But they could.

>Since we're talking about assigning bonus points for doing what you were
>supposed to do anyway, If I were Mike Gorman, I'd assign a Gorman point to
>Tommy every time he managed to get a hold of himself when a call is made
>against the Celtics.

What the heck--I'll trade a cookie for a Gorman Point, too.  Mrs. Fields
chocolate chip cookie.  But I want a t-shirt too.  :>)

Despite a well-deserved reputation, Tommy has done better at restraining
himself this season.  I don't think he's QUITE as serious as he sometimes
sounds.  Sometimes, his tone of voice doesn't sound angry, just
bemused.  Though I still bet that Tommy will become the first broadcaster
ejected from a Celtics game.  :>)

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle