Re: Mihm

At 01:12 PM 1/8/2004, Cecil wrote:
Well allow me to put it another way:

If Jimbo is breaking down the film and telling Paul that he needs to stop
dribbling into trouble and taking too long to decide what he wants to
do...and Paul is blowing Jimbo off...insisting on doing it his way...than we
have an evil Paul on our hands who is writing his ticket out of Boston, no?

What, based on what happened to Walker? Actually no, I don't think so. Although for cripes sake, when Ray is talking of clearing space for Kobe under the cap, just what does he think he's going to do with Pierce if he does. Anyway, very different personalities, undoubtedly perceived differently by management, with Pierce much more likely to *ultimately* give in and change and better able to be integrated in whatever larger changes as planned. And FWIW, until he regressed, one thing I noticed when we opened the season was that Paul had apparently finally realized the ball handling turnover problems and worked on them over the summer. Part of why I'm inclined to think it's mostly a concentration thing (as are some other issues like FT) vs mechanics in the usual sense.

I think there is some evil Paul at work in this and other things that drive me crazy with his play, but don't let me give the wrong impression. I'm not totally giving the coaching staff a bye on this either. A big part of what a coach is supposed to do is manage the players, and that includes getting them to recoginze and deal with things like this. I just get frustrated at times with what seems to be the perception that everything wrong on the court is strictly the coaches' fault, the assumption that they're too stupid to even see obvious problems and solutions that we geniuses on the list can come up with with half our brains tied behind our back, and that there is no responsibility on the part of the players for their play.

Kim