Re: Mihm

At 12:27 PM 1/8/2004, Cecil wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: Berry, Mark S

> --I remember back in the 1980s when Mike Holmgren was the offensive
coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers (stay with me) and Joe Montana was
his quarterback. Montana was a great player already. But during one
offseason, Holmgren and Montan sat down and watched film of every
interception Montana threw the previous season. A really high percentage
came on a certain type of pass play, so they eliminated those plays. Montana
followed with his best season and reduced his interceptions drastically. Why
am I bringing this up? Paul Pierce had nine turnovers last night. I bet
everyone on this list could see at least seven of them coming. Can't someone
sit down with Pierce and look at film of his turnovers and show him how he's
getting in trouble, over and over? There are simple things he could do to
eliminate those plays. If he saw it happening again and again, on film,
maybe he'd recognize it in the games. I don't know. That comparison just
came to me last night as I was screaming!
>   "Pass the ball!"

This is a good point.  What sense is it to watch film unless the coach is
stressing the areas which need to be improved?  Jimbo needs to assume that
position.  I sense that this is what you are gently pointing out.

Well back to a point I raised before about player responsibility for their behavior, why do we just assume this hasn't been done? Does everyone really think the coaches, who are known to be big proponents of targeted film as a tool, are THAT stupid and haven't had enough sense to try this already? What, just because Pierce continues to have unnecessary turnovers? I hear Obie called stubborn here for continuing to do things his way regardless of results, so why is it so impossible that Pierce is that way, especially given other evidence from his play. I used to hear the same suggestion made about Walker when he was here, to sit him down and force him to watch film of what he did wrong. And Walker even admitted starting under Pitino that it had been done. But he still played the same way, with occasional breaks of better sense. You can lead a horse...

I will say with Pierce that the turnovers have always seemed to have more to do with broader concentration issues than with any particular type of play. And this year I think there's an added problem with his thinking too much vs playing instinctively adding to them. Yes, obviously when he insists on playing 1 on 5 he's setting himself up to lose the ball, but he also loses his dribble too often in the open court and has it slapped away while he stands there taking too long deciding what to do.

Kim