New years message DA and Wyc

Gentlemen,

As a Celtics fan for 45 years, I would like to thank you for reviving my
interest in Celtics basketball. It's been a long time since I had any hope
of seeing great basketball played on a parquet floor. We still have a long
way to go, but at least we are finally headed in the right direction.

That said, I would like to correct what appears to be a misunderstanding
between the fans and the front office. The front office has stated that
their goal is a championship. Celtic fans agree. We want to re-establish the
Celtics as one of the best, if not the best, basketball team on the planet.
However, there is a more important goal from a Celtic fan's perspective that
the front office does not appear to understand, and it is what makes Celtic
fans unique. We want to show the world how the game of basketball should be
played. If winning means a continuation of the ugly individualistic
3-point-shooting style of play that dominates today's game, we are not
interested. It is an insult to the Celtics tradition. Win or lose, we want
to see the game played according to the principles established by Red, Russ
and Cooze 45 years ago. Rebound. Run. Pass. Create an easy shot for someone
on every possession. Play great man-to-man defense.

Celtic basketball is not about thunderous dunks, french pastry, or
25-footers with 3 defenders draped all over the shooter. Leave that for the
Lakers. We want to see crisp passes, layups, and open 15-footers. We want to
see our big guys stay home, rebound, and make the great outlet pass. We want
to see 5 guys moving as one, in constant motion. We want our team to
out-think and out-hustle the opponent every night. We can be patient when it
comes to #17, but we can't stand to see the game disrespected for another
season. If we return to the style that made the Celtics great, #17 will
come. More importantly, we will be proud of our team even when they lose.

Here's to a great year!

joshr