Re: [Celtics' Stuff ] I think Danny screwed up

In a message dated 2/29/04 4:44:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Celtic4Hire@xxxxxxx writes:

> I took a look at that excellent summary of salary info on realgm.  Hunter
> would get Early-Bird rights and therefore get the average salary which equates
> to the MLE. Is that correct? If so, would you be using your MLE to do that?
> I also saw that you can use your MLE every year. I thought is was every other
> year. As Johnny Carson used to say "I did not know that"....I agree that
> Danny should have included the option for year 3. There is also a chance he did
> and the Hoopshype site it wrong. Let's just hope Hunter continues to wow
> us.....
>
> DJessen33
>
> <<<He (DA) should have simply signed Hunter to a two year guaranteed deal
> (which is what Hunter got) with the TEAM option for Year 3.
> IF Hunter pans out, the C's could offer him an amount up to the MLE in July,
> 2005. Only if Hunter's play between now and then takes him to star status
> will his value exceed the MLE amount and thus exceed the amount the C's can
> offer. Then and only then can Ainge truly be criticized for a screw up on
> Hunter. >>

I believe the C's could offer an amount up to the MLE maximum; "up to" being
the key operative. The MLE is available every year and can be divided/split
between players.

And another thought came to mind. When does the renegotiation for a
new/modified labor agreement between Union and the owners begin? Does the current CBA
expire on June 30th of 2005? Did Ainge purposely set up Hunter's contract
length to end so he could wait until after a new CBA or modified version of the
current agreement is enacted?

CeltsSteve

``In Ainge We (T)rust" - what other choice do we really have?