Re: Hunter vs Songaila

--- Celtic4Hire@xxxxxxx wrote:
Give me a break, Kestas. Everyone makes judgements, based on seeing someone one
time or a lot of times. In this case, every time I have seen Hunter play, in
summer league and in the few NBA games, I have been impressed. Everytime I have
seen Songaila, in summer leaue and in the few NBA games, I have not. It is an
apples to apples comparison. Hunter has a skill that will keep him on the court
(with nonobstinate coaches). In fact, as one scout put it, he puts in Hall of
Fame numbers per minute. It is just my judgement, although I wouldn't stake my
life on it. The fact that Hunter also did in college gives me great odds,
however. How do you see it any different?
--- end of quote ---

I think you're mistaking my argument FOR Songaila as necessarily an argument
AGAINST Hunter. I'll remind you that there's no disagreement here re: Hunter.
I'm as high on him as anybody on this list.

--- Celtic4Hire@xxxxxxx wrote:
Based on what you have seen now, would you trade Hunter for Songaila?
--- end of quote ---

I don't know. I think highly of both of them. They're different players, though
- Hunter a short, athletic rebounding monster with skills around the post,
Songaila a tall, long-armed Euro with a complete game, not as athletic as
Hunter, but no slouch either. Watch how well he fits in with the Kings and
their Euro flavor. If that's what Ainge wants for this team (and it is), he'd
be great for that style. Though I'd be loath to give up on Hunter, given his
spectacular play in limited minutes.

--- Celtic4Hire@xxxxxxx wrote:
Have you seen Songaila play or are you going on statistics? What impresses you
about him?...
--- end of quote ---

Yes, I watched his career at Wake Forest, I watched him play for Lithuania in
the Euro Championships, I  saw him play at the summer league, and I watch every
Kings game I can. I've seen him drive and dunk over Theo Ratliff and two other
Hawks in person.  I also met him at the summer league. He's a very nice kid, a
real 6-9 (I'm 6-3 in shoes and I had to look waaaaay up at him), huge hands.
I'm telling you that the sample from which you're forming your impression is
not representative. Yes, he didn't do anything spectacular last night, but he
had 5 consecutive strong games prior to that. He's a rookie , and he's played
many more games than Hunter, so you get some so-so ones there too. He's had 11
double-digit scoring games this season, Hunter 2. He's had 4 double-digit
rebounding games, Hunter none (though he came close on a couple of ocassions).
They will both have plenty more. This is not a zero-sum game.
Kestas