From: Tammo29@xxxxxxx
To: celtics@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Celtics had a growth spurt Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:38:05 EST

>>>>>Shawn wrote:

How many times per night do we see him driving and 3 or 4 defenders
converge on him and hit him while he is in the air with no whistle?

wildly into a crowd of defenders and throwing his body into them to get
bailed out. They don't reward that kind of play for anyone. Pierce is
out of control during his drives to the basket far more than most stars.

Interesting hypothesis. However, the wonderfully under control Kobe has had
68 offensive fouls in the last two years while the horribly out of control
Pierce has had 73.
Hardly much of a difference.
Look, every player who goes to the basket hard will get his fair share of
offensive fouls. That doesn't keep the officials from calling the game fairly.
Pierce isn't the worst offender, in fact he isn't even in the top 6. I
haven't seen officials change the way they call a game for Jermain O'Neal (44 last
year) or Richard Hamilton (46). It is up to the officials to take each play on
it's own merit and not to presume one way or the other.

Point is only one of the offensive foul calls against him last night even
remotely resembled the scenario you put forth. That was the first one. It was
also a horrible call because the defender was still moving forward when they
collided, never mind when Pierce took off. Of the other two the second one was a
complete joke. Paul made a move away from the defender, not into him. They
didn't even touch. The guy knew he was beat so he flopped. How any official
fell for that is beyond me. The third was the most legit of the three but I've
seen far worse not called. Still, being it was his 6th it's not unreasonable
to say it was a stupid foul.
There are plenty of times he beats his man and gets hit or grabbed by other
guys with no call. It happened in the first half last night. He weaved his
way beautifully through defenders while two guys grabbed at his arms from either
side and a third grabbed ahold of his pants from behind all without a single
official seeing anything wrong.
He didn't throw himself at anyone and he was perfectly under control. So why
no foul?
Don't tell me that Michael Redd wouldn't have gotten that call last night.
He went to the line 11 times without near that kind of contact.
I think Paul hit the nail on the head last night. We aren't getting calls
because we aren't winning. We didn't win last night partly because we didn't
get calls (except for Hunter who couldn't make them anyway). It all a viscous
cycle. And it's not just Paul. However, the sad thing is even Chicago and
Orlando gets calls at home. Paul actually has gotten more free throws on the road
this year than at home, by a large margin.

TAM

Stay informed on Election 2004 and the race to Super Tuesday. http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx