RE: Latest on Baker via ESPN.com

At 12:04 AM 2/24/2004, Snoopy the Celtics Beagle wrote:
I had never read that Springer article before, and it contained information
that I haven't seen anywhere else--the specific reasons for the current,
and previous, suspension.

I was under the impression that the details were not disclosed to anyone
outside of Vin and the team management.  So, I have two questions: first,
how did she find out; and second, why did that get reported publicly?  I'm
not sure that kind of information fell under the public's need to know.

Though perhaps the first question should be, "Is it accurate?"

Oh I think so, if for no other reason than that we would have seen a retraction by now if it wasn't. And while people can disprespect Shira for opinions, such as offering too many warm fuzzies or following the company line, she doesn't usually get that sort of detail wrong. Speaking of which, what details? The only new one I thougt of was that the 3rd violation did involve testing positive for alcohol vs keeping the nature and fact of the violations quiet.

As to why reported publicly, I think the key thing is *when* it was reported publicly. The dynamic had changed considerably. After the 3rd strike that likely meant the end of Baker as a Celtic, with the likelihood of a better and more visible paper trail in places like the league office (up until that point it could likely be kept internal). While prior to that the Cs also had more of a vested interest in staying quiet for the sake of the team and of keeping someone still part of it, who they still thought might be productive, happy. You could always try emailing Shira at the globe and asking her...
<snip>
Kim