> What if the situation were reversed?  Danny Ainge
> calls in O'Brien and says,
> "Jim, it's clear that we don't see eye to eye and
> this isn't going to work
> long term.  The club needs to go in a different
> direction.  So, we're going
> to fire you after the season, but we'd like you to
> stick around and milk
> what you can out of the team for the duration."  Do
> you think O'Brien would
> have stayed on under those circumstances?

Interesting hypothetical.  Assuming O'Brien wanted to
stay (i.e., wasn't as frustrated as he turned out to
be and thought his marriage to Ainge was going to
work), he might have stuck around for the guys on the
team that had gone to war for him.  However, when you
get fired (and, more than likely, when you get
resigned on) there is always a bruised ego to contend
with; so in all likelihood, O'Brien tells them to
shove it (which I suppose is a good reason why the C's
owners did the same thing to O'Brien; however, as
managers, they can't--or at least shouldn't--let their
pride dictate how they operate).

> > As for O'Brien's resignation becoming common
> knowledge
> > prior to leaving; yeah, that might have caused
> > problems, but I guess I'm assuming, since those
> > problems would have been so foreseeable (and if
> you'd
> > have followed the thread, you would have reconized
> > that Lapdoggy brought up the same issue) that
> > management, presumably interested in winning,
> would
> > have taken steps to conceal it until after the
> season
> > (much like they concealed their attempts to
> purchase
> > the team).
>
> I'm sure they would have taken steps to conceal it,
> but I also believe that
> the secret would have gotten out eventually.
>
> I also question the dedication and commitment the
> team would have gotten
> from O'Brien if he had stayed on.  After his
> "resignation" his personal
> investment in the team would have been a lot lower.
>
> Michael

Yeah, with that crack team of reporters provided by
the Globe and Herald, we would have known all about
it.

Bottom line, though: it's tough to say what would have
happened, other than this....if O'Brien's here (under
any circumstances), then the team is playing better,
and I'm happier...

Ryan

P.S. I said I wouldn't post till we win....well I
guess I'm not always true to my word.  My bad.