Re: GMs say Pierce no longer untouchable

Josh wrote:

I disagree.  I knew going in that Pierce wasn't a leader,
and that he was an all-pro basketball player.  I still know
that.  You knew both of these things too, Mark.  I wouldn't
trade Pierce for anyone except another legit, proven superstar.

--- --- ---

Josh, it's not that he isn't a leader. You're right. We knew that. I
think he has quit on this team. I think he's doing his own thing out
there, loafing, acting disinterested and, to compound matters, he's
blaming all the problems on his teammates, coaches and management.

Again, you have to be careful about who you build your team around. I
think we're finding out this year that Pierce may not be the right guy.

By the way ... Pierce had a great finish to the 2000-2001 season, a
great 2001-2002, but he wasn't great last year and he's far from great
this year. I'm not by any means suggesting you give him away. Not at
all. You have to get HUGE return, either in a package or in a
one-for-one deal. But let's not pretend Pierce is still the guy who
looked like a first-team All-NBA player two years ago. He hasn't been
that guy since the Celts lost to the Nets in the ECF.

Mark