[no subject]

A team source who was present for the meeting recounted what happened,
a couple of hours after it took place. Ainge opened the meeting by
telling the players he recognized "this year's been tough" and that "a
lot of different things have gone on." According to the source, Ainge
then said, "I just want the veteran guys to know this is their team."

The meeting continued with Ainge questioning the players. Ainge turned
to captain Paul Pierce and asked what he thought of the game. According
to the source, Pierce said nothing. Ainge next turned to Mark Blount
and asked what he thought of the game. Blount said, "It was long."

Ainge later went around the room and praised players. He turned to
seldom-used Jumaine Jones and said, "I believe in you." He turned to
rookies Marcus Banks and Brandon Hunter and said, "I know you can
play."

Ainge concluded the meeting by addressing how poorly the team had
played recently. He talked, in general, about how to play the game.
More specifically, Ainge mentioned the need for better passing and the
effort required to get open on the wing. He also told the Celtics they
needed to play harder.

According to the source, Ainge's words appeared to have little impact
on the veterans, judging from their facial expressions. Ainge responded
by noting that "most of my words were not directed toward the
veterans." When Pierce was asked what was discussed, whether it
pertained to the team's play against the Clippers or larger issues, he
took his time formulating an answer.

"We just talked about the game and what we thought we could have done
better," said Pierce, before Celtics public relations director Bill
Bonsiewicz stepped in and excused the captain so he could visit with
friends and family.