All-Star location question

I've noticed how the NBA seems to be somewhat--shall we say,
selective--about the locations of the All-Star game.  Maybe it's just
fortuitous, or a good crystal ball.  The Hawks had such poor attendance,
they should have ended up opening for Bruce Springsteen just to fill more
seats.  Along comes the All-Star game to Atlanta to help pay the
rent.  Kobe Bryant was annoyed at being booed in Philly--presto, one
All-Star game in blah-blah land.

The thing is, I know that in the old Boston Garden, it became unrealistic
to expect and all-Star game be held given the commercialization of the
process under the reign of Sterno the First, Emperor of the NBA, the WNBA,
Lord of the Lockout and sparring partner of Billy Hunter.

But we have the New Boston Garden now--and have had it for several years.
The C's--despite their most recent problems--are no longer the
laughingstock of the NBA, and the Big Dig is nearly done.

So, part of me wonders, "Why isn't the All-Star Game coming to the city
that had the FIRST one?"

Then I load up the VCR with this year's game and another part of me
answers, "Because we have an aversion to looking like morons."

Still, I wonder what--if any--selection process is used, and if Boston has
actually made any effort to land an ASG.  Does anyone here have answers to
share?

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle