Ricky is the Alpha-dog (the thuggish-ruggish Alpha-dog)

Much to my chagrin, Ravi and Mark P. already beat me
to the punch with these thoughts (I swear I had these
thoughts last night watching the game), but since I
think they deserve their own topic, I'll re-present
them.

As I said in my notes to Carroll (suprisingly, two of
the things I wrote to Carroll have come true so far;
Ricky's start and the offense being run through
Ricky--which it was in the first quarter, when we
scored 36 points), Ricky is just like Antoine.  Same
cocky demeanor, same willingness to engage anybody in
a little trash talking, same fighting,
never-giving-up-till-you-kill-me attitude and heart.
The only difference is that Antoine was given the keys
from the get-go on a hapless team, while Ricky has had
to pay his dues on more established teams.  Who doubts
that Antoine would have had a few more brush-ups with
teammates and coaches had he been drafted by a
non-lottery team (especially if Antoine wasn't getting
playing time)?  They are the same player.

Luckily (or not) for us, we need an Antoine-like
personality on this team.  As others have said, Pierce
especially needs this.  Why?  He's a sensitive guy; he
lets the down-times drag him down.  When things are
going bad, he doesn't slap someone on the ass and tell
them to get over it or give them some other positive
comment, instead he hangs his head.  Last nite, case
in point, as we were going down by 10 or so in the
fourth, Walter made the second of 3 horrible passes he
made in that quarter and the cameras showed Pierce as
he headed back down the court; his head was down, he
had a pained look on his face and he wasn't taking the
situation very well.  What was needed at that point
was a little cheerleading; a little positive thinking;
a guy saying "we're still in this, we're coming back,
fuck this shitty-ass Clippers team."

This is where Ricky comes in (and he can swear better
than that; if you guys and gals can read lips, you'll
know of the flavorful explitive Ricky unleashed after
missing a free throw in the first quarter--it was
priceless).  He will become (barring any trades) THE
leader on this team, just like Antoine was (Ravi I
disagree with you; especially when you say that Kenyon
Martin is this type of leader--Martin is punk!)  He's
got that personality; already you see him in the ears
of teammates.  Look back the comments he made just
after the All-Star break; those are the comments of a
leader (I don't specifically remember what he said,
but it was something along the lines that we--as a
team--have to fight this out, bring it every night and
forget the convenient excuse of changing coaches and
it's in the hands of every individual on this team to
do so).  In time, hopefully next season, Ricky will be
commanding respect on this team (and hopefully in this
league, but with the reputation he's earned--much like
Antoine--this may take a while, especially with our
particular brand of sports writers who seem hellbent
on labeling him a troublemaker even when EVERYTHING
he's done in Boston has been extremely POSITIVE).
Beyond Ricky, I'm also thinking/hoping that Marcus, in
time, will become that other leader on the team.  He
just has the fiesty personality (like last night,
after getting knocked down with a flagrant foul, he
gets up, misses 1 of 2 at the line, and then comes
right back at the defense, getting to the rim and
giving us the lead.  Why is this good?  He didn't back
down, didn't run from a challenge; basically he got
mad and took it out on the opponent--these are the
types of players that everyone wants to play with; the
ones that go to war) that all great leaders have; he
just needs to experience.  And, yes, he IS the point
guard of the future (I'm a little taken aback at
Carroll in the paper today; basically he just gave the
starting spot to Atkins.  That's not a good move; what
happened to earning your spot; or at least learning
the offense and defensive schemes?).

Going back to Ricky, this is why he had to start.  You
can't lead (or conversely get your 'grip' on) unless
you're starting.  Or at least Ricky can't lead unless
he's starting, since he just came to this team and it
wouldn't really be his place to do so (E Will could
lead from the bench because he had tenure; a young
player, like Ricky, who is new to the team must start
before ever hoping to become a leader) unless he was
starting.  Further, Ricky is better than Jiri.  Last
night, when the offense was being run through Ricky,
with Paul essentially a decoy, Jiri got most of his
opportunities via Ricky's ballhandling.  Thus, we
could play a non-point guard like Jiri at the point as
long as Ricky is the de facto point guard, much like
Antoine was.  Further, this creates advantageous
mismatches on the offensive end.  Additionally, on
defense, Ricky, unlike Antoine, can guard the other
teams' point guard, thereby diminishing the downside
to playing Jiri at the point (and yes, Carroll, this
means that you should re-think your 'plan' of starting
Chucky; also remember, Carroll, that I secretly and
subconsciously am controlling your every decision and
it's best that you don't fight it--so quit playing
Walter already!)

In addition to all the reasons mentioned above, and
the fact that handing the keys to Ricky will improve
Paul's game, the most important aspect of making Ricky
the man on this team is that it will bring out the
best in Ricky.  Much like Antoine, Ricky needs to be
intimately involved with everything in order to play
to his potential; he needs his fingers in all the pies
(the fish and finger pies especially); he needs to
feel the love (and respect, which is love in some
respects).  Give Ricky this responsibility and respect
and Ricky gives it back to the team tenfold, in terms
of hard work and leadership.  However, much like
Antoine, Ricky, while desperately wanting to win,
hasn't quite learned what it takes.  This is where we
need a little luck.  We need to get into the playoffs.
 And what would help that most?  Ricky getting on a
tear.  That's what needs to happen.  Ricky needs to
start averaging 20+ points (he has since the All-star
break--small sample I know).  It would be the best
thing to happen to this season and the only thing
capable of saving it.  If you're listening Carroll
(and I know you are, because I programmed you myself),
you need to put everything you have into getting
maximum production out of Ricky.  He represents the
best potential for in-season growth and our only
chance of making the playoffs.

Ryan

P.S.  As for my reactions to the trade, I'm like "who
cares."  Little trade, involving an unimportant player
(did you guys and gals see Pierce's comments regarding
the trade?  He basically said "Who's Mike James?"
Pierce has gone thru so much turmoil this season in
terms of trades that nothing can faze him anymore) who
didn't have a place on the team and would not have
been retained.  Plus we get another pick, which will
make draft time that much more fun (draft time has a
funny way of being the most exciting basketball time
of the year).  So, yeah, we helped Detroit and made
Dumars look smart.  So what.  Maybe Rasheed ruins that
team and gives us a lottery pick.  Then who screwed
who?

One more thing:  Don't sign Doleac.  He sucks.  He's
white.  And he's a stiff.  Do I need say more?