Re: traded who for what?

>The main reason Red made those great deals is he suckered the
>other teams.  Nobody had any desire to give him anything of value, and he
>outsmarted them.

>Danny isn't an idiot, but he's NOT as smart as Red at making deals.

Well that is like comparing footballs to The Big Pumpkin Snoop.

In the first case:

Red operated before cable, before video tape, before large teams of scouting
assistants, before big money college coaches and their large scouting
networks, before the industry based on rating potential NBA players came
into being, etc ... .

Way back when, Red made deep friendships among college coaches by traveling
in the off season and giving basketball clinics etc...  It is said that in
some cases, a clinic by a NBA coach, like Red, brought enough credibility to
a college coach for him to retain his job.  These coaches then contacted Red
when they thought they had a sleeper. And Red saw guys himself that other
NBA coach's didn't.  That's a huge benefit.

The most recent example of this is our own Kedrick Brown and Wallace.  Proof
enough that this isn't a working option anymore.

In the second case:

There weren't as many teams drafting from the same shallow pool back then.
And the teams worked together rather then against each other.  I doubt the
same level of collusion would be found "acceptable" or allowed today.

The third case:

There isn't now, nor will be another "Red".  But he did not hit a home run
each trade and had a few clunkers as well.

>I love the Celtics, and I've always rooted for them, even when things were
>going badly, but Danny's going to have to work really hard to convince me
>this latest trade is a good idea.

Well I am disappointed as well.  However, except for Detroit getting signing
space for Okur next year and a chance at resigning Wallace, who I don't like
anyway, what else was actually done that benefited anyone as a current
talent upgrade?

The potential of gaining a "chit" from Dumars and sticking it to NY has
potential value as well.

<Jim
---