Re: OK, here's what might be happening

At 10:07 AM 2/19/2004, Mafiaso316@xxxxxxx wrote:
I like this if it happens.  Does anyone know what Vin's contract means to us
in the future?  Is it money lost or can it be used for free agency?

Paolo Dellasandro

Well first we have to lose it.
But it's a bit of both. It frees up the money but doesn't necessarily put us significantly enough under the cap/luxury tax for that to matter as much as you might think. We're apparently at about $52 MM without it http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/boston.htm now - he's listed on the site, but that would be the prorated amount through the release, which does still count against our cap. Which might leave some, but likely not much money for a FA now. Next year, apparently only about $38MM committed without it, which would leave a nice chunk of change to spend, but you have to remember that we also have to sign draft picks, fill some more roster spots, etc with that cap space money too.

And if we negotiate a buyout, the amount of the buyout will still count against our cap prorated for the number of years left in the contract. So if we bought him out for say $12MM, since he had 3 years left on his contract, that would be $4MM against our cap each year even though we pay him all the money up front.