Re: Who will it be - Bulpett

On Feb 19, 2004, at 10:16 AM, Eggcentric@xxxxxxx wrote:

On the deal front

The Celtics were mainly sitting tight on the deal front last night with
today's NBA trade deadline bearing down.

If the team does make a move, it will most likely come down in the final
hours as teams find they cannot get the player they want and instead choose
the financial benefit the Celts are offering. The club has dangled the
contract of injured forward Chris Mills, who is on his final year at $6.6
million, with insurance picking up 80 percent of that.

As of last night, the Celtics were still in play for Seattle's Brent Barry
(either straight up for Mills or in a package that would see the C's taking
on a less desirable contract to get Barry in the fold before he becomes
a free agent) and San Antonio's Malik Rose (but the Celts would have to
get more than a pick with him).

According to league sources, the Celtics have also talked to Toronto,
which is looking to move Donyell Marshall and Morris Peterson. Those
two could be sent to Seattle for Barry and Vladimir Radmanovic, cutting
in on the Celts' desire for Barry.

Another possibility for the Celtics is a deal that nets them more draft
picks. They already have two first-rounders, and Danny Ainge said
yesterday, ``I really like this draft.''

If the Celts do make a trade that clears a roster spot, they could well be
interested in Michael Doleac, who was waived by Atlanta yesterday, just
days after he was acquired from the Knicks in a three-team deal.
- Bulpett
-----------
So who will it be - Barry, Radmanovic, Rose, Marshall, Peterson,
Atkins, Jerome Williams, Taylor? Or will it simply be another first
rounder or two or three? Just what we need, Ainge slurping
pablum all over his long white beard by the time his dream team
matures to a reality.

Of all the players being bandied about my choice would be Donyell Marshall (he of the 24 rebounds the other night).

I'd gladly do:

Mills + Mihm + Blount (toronto wants a Center so they can move Bosh back to PF) for Marshall + Lamond Murray + Michael Bradley (Murray + Bradley are just to make the #s work -- both are on for 2 more years).

Marshall is a better player (though less heralded) than Howard for less money, fewer years.

Of course I'd still like to pluck Eric Snow from the Sixers, but would gladly settle for spare parts for Donyell Marshall.

(the other) Mark