Who will it be - Bulpett

On the deal front

The Celtics were mainly sitting tight on the deal front last night with
today's NBA trade deadline bearing down.

If the team does make a move, it will most likely come down in the final
hours as teams find they cannot get the player they want and instead choose
the financial benefit the Celts are offering. The club has dangled the
contract of injured forward Chris Mills, who is on his final year at $6.6
million, with insurance picking up 80 percent of that.

As of last night, the Celtics were still in play for Seattle's Brent Barry
(either straight up for Mills or in a package that would see the C's taking
on a less desirable contract to get Barry in the fold before he becomes
a free agent) and San Antonio's Malik Rose (but the Celts would have to
get more than a pick with him).

According to league sources, the Celtics have also talked to Toronto,
which is looking to move Donyell Marshall and Morris Peterson. Those
two could be sent to Seattle for Barry and Vladimir Radmanovic, cutting
in on the Celts' desire for Barry.

Another possibility for the Celtics is a deal that nets them more draft
picks. They already have two first-rounders, and Danny Ainge said
yesterday, ``I really like this draft.''

If the Celts do make a trade that clears a roster spot, they could well be
interested in Michael Doleac, who was waived by Atlanta yesterday, just
days after he was acquired from the Knicks in a three-team deal.
    - Bulpett
-----------
So who will it be - Barry, Radmanovic, Rose, Marshall, Peterson,
Atkins, Jerome Williams, Taylor?  Or will it simply be another first
rounder or two or three?  Just what we need, Ainge slurping
pablum all over his long white beard by the time his dream team
matures to a reality.

Since a few of you have asked, far as I know, the deal for Juwan Howard
was set to be announced following the Sacramento game.  Have no idea
what happened at the 11th hour.  Maybe it was called off due to the last
hundred negative feedbacks.  Moments later, Celt nation and Mihm were
being assured that such a deal had never existed.  Good-bye Juwan.

Egg

"We were advised we could move to terminate this player (Baker)
a year ago, but chose to give him what has amounted to a year of
additional chances"
-  Wyc Grousbeck

And the 2003 Humanitarian Award goes to ...