Re: Marc Stein's article - Cs, Chucky Atkins

On Feb 19, 2004, at 6:57 AM, Celtic4Hire@xxxxxxx wrote:

Detroit boards say it is a done deal. How many no. 1s do we get? Two
hopefully....

DJessen33

<Whether we see a full-fledged blockbuster -- involving Wallace again -- on
deadline day apparently hinges on a not-so-big name: Chucky Atkins.

As Wednesday night bled into early morning, with Thursday's NBA trade buzzer
fast approaching at 3 p.m. ET, finding a third team willing to take on Atkins
was the key to Detroit's hopes of acquiring Wallace from Atlanta.

League sources told ESPN.com late Wednesday that Detroit was trying to move
Atkins to the Boston Celtics. >

i'm curious about what the particulars of this deal might be.

I assume the Wallace --> Detroit deal would be for

Sura, Lindsey Hunter, Elden Campbell & Z. Rebracca

(Don't know if someone's question about Wallace being traded again got answered -- a player recently traded can be traded again if its by himself, not as a multi-player trade. So if Wallace is moved again, its got to be solo).

But the supposed Atkins --> Boston deal is slightly less clear, but I'm guessing that its Mills + James (who'd be duplicated by Atkins) + one of our trade exceptions ($2 mil or $1.5 mil trade exemption -- the $2mil is the better bet since it expires first); plus draft picks:

Detroit currently has their own #1 (23 right now) + Milwaukee's #1 (18 (top 15 protected)) and Philly's 2nd rounder this summer or next (currently pick #38)

I'm a bit nervous about Atkins being our PG (assuming we'd send off James) though. He's 3 inches shorter and has never averaged as many assists as James is this year (a scary proposition). Since neither of them are really starting NBA PG's (James is IMO the protypical backup combo-guard (a la Vinnie Johnson or Bobby Jackson))

So if we're taking on Atkins' 2 extra years i'd hold out for Milwaukees #1 and Philly's 2nd rounder -- if Detroit's that desperate make them pay.

(the other) mark