Re: Malik Rose

If Danny has a long term plan, he cant make any of the deals. That is, unless he is Rick Pitino with an eye for talent....

Berry, Mark S wrote:

Rose for Mills and Jones doesn't work. The salaries don't match up. In
fact, playing around on RealGM, I couldn't find a combination that made
sense.

But, let's assume they came up with something. What are everyone's
thoughts on Malik Rose? Personally, I love the guy. He's a warrior. He
makes winning plays. Anyone who liked Eric Williams would love Malik
Rose. He's an undersized power forward, but at least he's a power
forward. He fills a need.

So what's the problem? Well, he has a huge five-year contract. He got
one of those deals that made you take a second look when it was
announced. He's a nice player. I'd love a guy like that, but only if
he's making about half the money Rose is currently making. Rose is one
of those guys who was overpaid by his team because he was so valuable to
them, but probably wouldn't be as valuable to anyone else.

Would I do this trade? If it's Rose and San Antonio's first-rounder for
Mills and Jones, I probably don't do it. You're taking on a bad,
long-term contract and the only incentive would be a very late
first-round pick - and every year you hear about teams trying to dump
those picks so they don't have to pay the guaranteed contract. Do the
Spurs own the rights to any promising foreign players? Do they own
anyone else's first-rounder? Ray, do you know of anything? It would take
something like that to prod me into making this trade. This is assuming,
of course, that Ginobli is off limits.

These are the types of players we're talking about now. They all have
bad contracts - Williamson, Rose, Jahidi White. The key is how much the
other team is willing to pay to convince you to take the bad contract.
If it's just a low first-rounder, that shouldn't be enough. Personally,
I'm still hoping the Suns include either Vujanic (our answer at point
guard) or Zarko (maybe the answer at power forward). Casey Jacobsen
doesn't cut it.

The point is this: The return we get for the Mills contract shouldn't be
based on the player with the big contract. It should depend on the
sweetener.

Mark